Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.
RSS Feed MembersSearch
Pages: 1
Army differences
Army differences Posted on [17/03/2017] à 22:47

So, I have been playing with just the Americans and Germans. I did not get any of the British stuff at this time. I see the announcement for Stalingrad which means the Russians are coming out.

My questions:

Do the British (and maybe the Russians) feel different in game play?

Do most people get them in order to do more historically accurate battles?

Are there other reasons to pick up the different armies?

Army differences Posted on [17/03/2017] à 23:49

I picked the British up because I'm British. And I'm a completist. I've not played with them yet other than the iPad version of the game. It's some nice variation.

Army differences Posted on [18/03/2017] à 06:12

The Commonwealth forces do have a different feel as far as my experience goes. This is due to differences in standard load-out and tactics. British units have a lot more mortars than US forces, for example. The commandos are very interesting and powerful troops, especially with the new version of Lord Lovat.

* Action Card Deck

First of all, understand that the majority of the cards in each armies deck are the same (some have different names, but the same effect). There are only 5 cards that are unique for each faction, but they do have a different flavor in each faction at least as far as they impact a game. That is also true of the German vs US decks, so think about whether that is something you have noticed while playing with the two decks you already have. That should inform how likely the CW deck is going to feel different 🙂

* Different character

You can look at the 4th armored versus 7th armored here as they both have previews. Take a look at the different types of units available. Look at 1st edition of Lord Lovat versus Miller's Rangers. Then there is the eccentricities such as Mad Jack Churchill attacking units with a Bow and Arrows 🙂

But the best way to check them out and see if they are for you is to try before you buy, so see if you can get a game with the CW forces and see how they play or how it is to play against them.

Remember: Tracer rounds work both ways!

Army differences Posted on [18/03/2017] à 07:25

I really hope that devil pig doesn't just turn the Russians into the "horde"faction. It really is an ugly stereotype and would not fit into the heroic theme and style of the game. There are plenty of other ways to make them unique without perpetuating almost 70 year old propaganda. I love the game and hope they don't take the easy route when designing the Russians. I really enjoy that soldiers in the game are roughly the same and that it is the equipment and organization that makes them unique.

Army differences Posted on [18/03/2017] à 16:03

Quote from devin.pike.1989 on [18/03/2017] à 07:25

I really hope that devil pig doesn't just turn the Russians into the "horde"faction. It really is an ugly stereotype and would not fit into the heroic theme and style of the game. There are plenty of other ways to make them unique without perpetuating almost 70 year old propaganda. I love the game and hope they don't take the easy route when designing the Russians. I really enjoy that soldiers in the game are roughly the same and that it is the equipment and organization that makes them unique.

Devil Pig will do it up right for sure. Just wait utill you see those Russian snipers … Roza Shanina … Vasily Zaytsev (with some Jude Law movie art I hope, because it's all about epic movie style @ Devil Pig) Vasily killed well over 200 soldiers during the Battle of Stalingrad, I'd think he's he's in for sure. I can't even imagine how cool those ruined city boards are going to be … So epic … can't wait.

Army differences Posted on [19/03/2017] à 16:05

Thanks for all the feedback…it helps.

Army differences Posted on [20/03/2017] à 15:27

One of the main things I have notice is that currently for targeting heavy armor

German Pak 40 > British 6 Pounder AT GUN > American 57mm AT GUN

I am curious where the Soviet antitank guns will land on this scale.

Also another thing to notice is each factions Bazooka / Panzerfaust / PAIT handles differently.

Army differences Posted on [21/03/2017] à 10:20

Concerning the soviets, the authors are reading books and compare what they read 😉

So, don't worry!

Community Manager Devil Pig Games

Army differences Posted on [22/03/2017] à 00:10

Yann and Clem are simply amazing. I can't praise the Heroes of Normandie system enough. I love the damage states and flipping tokens. I really enjoy the art work and how immersive it can be at times without the need for super complicated simulation rules.

I like how you can just punch out a new tank regiment and jump into play! No painting required! Also it serves as a great pick up game. Last year I took it to Fallcon and practically demo'd it all weekend long. For love of the game, man, that's what I have for this game.

No other game lets me play as Oddball or Kelly or any other characters I grew up watching.

Marrying into a family of a former soviet country and taking some time to learn about the history of the area gave me a better appreciation for what these people went through.

I can barely contain my excitement for the Soviet installment! Also I can't help but wonder what little difference we will see in the German units in the east as they where fairly different in many regards. I could speculate all day…

Army differences Posted on [22/03/2017] à 00:36

Quote from Axel on [21/03/2017] à 10:20

Concerning the soviets, the authors are reading books and compare what they read 😉

So, don't worry!

Glad to hear it! I can't wait for Stalingrad and I have high hopes for it. I can't wait for naval infantry!

Pages: 1