Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.
RSS Feed MembersSearch
Pages: 1
[V1.2] Suppressive fire on the move - double bonuses (All of them!)
Suppressive fire on the move - double bonuses (All of them!) Posted on [26/05/2017] à 17:20

Hi.

I've played a lot of Heroes of Normandie (the board game) recently and decided to download the tablet version and try it out (both are great!)

While playing, i was puzzled when i discovered that when i do a suppressive fire on the move (with Oddball), my fire on the move penalty with the machine gun (-2) was doubled (-4) along with all my other bonuses.

In the rule book v1.2 at page 18, it specifically says to double all bonuses (All of them!) and then roll the die.

I always played under the belief that this action would only double the firer's bonuses, not penalties.

Did i play it right or there is a mistake in the rules from the digital app?

Suppressive fire on the move - double bonuses (All of them!) Posted on [26/05/2017] à 17:31

The digital app should NEVER be used as a rules reference. Edit to add: I don't mean this as a criticism of the developers, I think they did a great job, but sometimes a computer program has to make some changes to fit the gaming platform.

The back page of the rulebook has a note called "Shot Resolution" that shows how all calculations are made and in which order. Use that.

Volunteer Moderator of the English Language Forums
Remember: If you are not willing to shell your own position you are not willing to win!

Suppressive fire on the move - double bonuses (All of them!) Posted on [26/05/2017] à 18:13

Ok good, i thought as much.

So basically when i refer to the back of the rule book, it appears the fire on the move penalty is done before doubling attack bonuses (like i did already since the rule says to subtract the penalty from the initial attack bonus), but not part of the step where you actually double the bonuses afterwards. Those are two different things.

To put it simply, the fire on the move penalty is not doubled while using suppress fire ability (on the move) but remains the same (-2 in my case).

Is that right?

Suppressive fire on the move - double bonuses (All of them!) Posted on [26/05/2017] à 22:14

Quote from vmartin on [26/05/2017] à 18:13

Ok good, i thought as much.

So basically when i refer to the back of the rule book, it appears the fire on the move penalty is done before doubling attack bonuses (like i did already since the rule says to subtract the penalty from the initial attack bonus), but not part of the step where you actually double the bonuses afterwards. Those are two different things.

To put it simply, the fire on the move penalty is not doubled while using suppress fire ability (on the move) but remains the same (-2 in my case).

Is that right?

Let me see if I can explain this more directly.

If you modify the sum of all bonuses by the penalty before you double said result, then the effect of the penalty ends up doubled.

Thus:

I have an Initial Attack bonus of 4

I subtract 2 for Fire on the Move, so now I have an Attack bonus of 2

I add 1 for Ammo, so now I have an Attack bonus of 3

I double the result and now I have an Attack bonus of 6

It has been a long time since I have taken math in school, but I think this is the distributive property?

(4-2+1)x2 = (4×2) + (-2×2) + (1×2) = 8 + -4 + 2 = 6

Note that you actually do double the penalty for Fire on the Move. You also doubled the Equipment bonus for Ammo.

That is how the Shot Resolution works.

Volunteer Moderator of the English Language Forums
Remember: If you are not willing to shell your own position you are not willing to win!

Suppressive fire on the move - double bonuses (All of them!) Posted on [26/05/2017] à 22:22

Thanks for your very clear explanation =)

Makes sense now.

Pages: 1