Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.
RSS Feed MembersSearch
Pages: 1
2vs1 or 2vs2 possible?
2vs1 or 2vs2 possible? Posted on [18/09/2017] à 13:25

Hey there,

just a quick question: is it possible to play SoN with 4 or 3 players, 2vs2 or 2vs1?

What products would my gaming group need to make this work?

Thanks in advance.

2vs1 or 2vs2 possible? Posted on [18/09/2017] à 17:41

Correction to my previous post:

SoN is designed for multiple players from the start. In fact, the Scenario book includes some scenarios with 3 players. One of the key (at the time) differences between HoN and SoN was that the hand size for each player is determined by the scenario. That allows a 2 vs 1 format with 2 players on one side (for example: Black Sun working with Deep Ones) to each have a hand of 2 cards while the Majestic player has a hand of 4 cards. That lets them pull from their own faction deck, but keeps the number of cards available for each "side" the same.

Volunteer Moderator of the English Language Forums
Remember: If you are not willing to shell your own position you are not willing to win!

2vs1 or 2vs2 possible? Posted on [18/09/2017] à 18:28

Perfect! Thank you.

Would the contents of SoN Core Box be enough for a 2vs2? If not, what else to buy except Desert Wrath? I am thinking about the Punchboard Bundle. Would that work?

2vs1 or 2vs2 possible? Posted on [18/09/2017] à 19:27

There is enough forces in the SoN box to run 3 players easily (3 decks), but you could also split the Majestic side for two different players (by adapting the sort of rules found in the Multiplayer rules in the Download section). Have the two Majestic players split their deck between them.

Adding Desert Wrath would certainly make things a bit easier, since it would add SectionM/SAS forces which would give you two Allied forces to balance the Mythos forces. I say that coming from the point of view of a HoN player where I have an embarrassment of riches in the way of forces to choose from 😈

What you have in the box gives you plenty to battle. The cards you draw in each game will vary your tactics for every game. You can experiment with different recruitment options as well. Your recruitment tile options are a bit limited in number but that should not stop you from enjoying battles.

I might suggest picking up Battlegrounds terrain set, which adds more boards to vary the battlefield. It gives you a lot more variety for not a lot of investment.

The River set would be a bit unbalanced as the Deep Ones would have a huge advantage on those boards, but then again that makes from some interesting tactical situations.

Obviously, the more stuff you have (Mythos Call 1, Desert Wrath, Mythos Call 2, and the upcoming Shadow Hunters) the more options you have in the way you can build your army. Not required by any stretch, but once you have mastered the units in the core those would be good additions.

Remember: If you are not willing to shell your own position you are not willing to win!

2vs1 or 2vs2 possible? Posted on [18/09/2017] à 20:29

Thank you for your detailed answers. Much appreciated.

One more question: are standard allied/German units from HoN compatible with SoN?

2vs1 or 2vs2 possible? Posted on [19/09/2017] à 07:15

Quote from SOLAR FLARE on [18/09/2017] à 20:29

One more question: are standard allied/German units from HoN compatible with SoN?

You are welcome.

The units are compatible for the most part. As long as you are using the SoN decks you should have little issue. The HoN troops will be at a slight disadvantage as they have no defenses to Mythos-related things, but then most troops in SoN don't either so that should render what I said not much of an issue 🙂

2vs1 or 2vs2 possible? Posted on [19/09/2017] à 08:04

Great!

What about order tokens if it's a 2v2? The rules state that each player in a 2v2 has 1 Bluff, 1 Special and 5 regular orders, if I've got that right. So, do I need to buy some or DIY some extra Ordertokens or are there bought in the base box?

Thanks again. *thumbsup*

2vs1 or 2vs2 possible? Posted on [20/09/2017] à 16:13

Quote from SOLAR FLARE on [19/09/2017] à 08:04

What about order tokens if it's a 2v2? The rules state that each player in a 2v2 has 1 Bluff, 1 Special and 5 regular orders, if I've got that right. So, do I need to buy some or DIY some extra Order tokens or are there bought in the base box?

I am not clear on what you mean here. Both HoN and SoN come with Order tokens. Each set of Order tokens have the tokens 1 through 10 as well as 2x Bluff and 2x Special Order.

2vs1 or 2vs2 possible? Posted on [20/09/2017] à 17:35

Sry, I was rather imprecise.

Does every player get:

A) 1 Bluff + 1 Special + Orders from 1 to 5 for each player. No orders from 6 to 10 at all.

B) Each team splits their tokens. So both get 1 Bluff + 1 Special. Then player A of Team A gets tokens 1 to 5 and player B of Team A gets tokens 6 to 10.

Or how does it work exactly?

Thx

2vs1 or 2vs2 possible? Posted on [20/09/2017] à 18:35

When using one set of tokens, players on the same team can confer about who gets what depending on the current game situation.

OR

Put all tokens for one side, including the bluff token, face down and have the players from the same team draft them.

OR

Put the number 1 token face up/perhaps also the bluff token, and the others face down behind a screen.

Players confer or roll a die about who gets the 1/bluff then draft the other face down tokens. One player may even choose both the 1 AND the bluff.

OR

Think of something else. As player you are given great freedom to diverge from

standard rules/suggestions/situations by stating how to go about things in a particular scenario. Loads of possibilities, just make sure it works out fine. Some trial and error and tweeking may occur.

Another simple way is to use different sets of tokens if you have them and assigning one to each team, then determine rotating initiative order each turn.

SoN base box has three sets of tokens, Majestics, Black Suns, Deep ones.

Section M and Mythos tokens provided in expansions.

2vs1 or 2vs2 possible? Posted on [20/09/2017] à 21:13

Thank you for the insight. I'll open up my mind. Maybe something like: treat all order tokens 6 through 10 like 1 through 5.

2vs1 or 2vs2 possible? Posted on [20/02/2018] à 22:03

For those that have tried combining HoN and SoN, did you find that any faction was OP? Were the SoN factions significantly better against HoN? Or was everything pretty much balanced? Thank you!

Pages: 1