Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.
RSS Feed MembersSearch
Pages: 1 2
[Fan] Historical Campaign - Operation Neptune
Historical Campaign - Operation Neptune Posted on [06/06/2019] à 14:43

Hi fellow forum members,

A while ago, after a gaming session with bartdevuyst, I got an idea : "Wouldn't it be nice to recreate history with all available DPG expansions and scenarios ?"

So I started my research online and searched through some of my books and tried to come up with a historical accurate moment in time at which each scenario would have happened. Some scenarios were easy, some required a lot of research and some were almost impossible. But in the end I managed to come up with a 'scenario timeline'.

I talked to bartdevuyst about my idea and he said he could turn my idea into something visually nice. Well, he didn't, he made something visually stunning as you are about to find out.

Today, exactly 75 years after D-Day we are happy to present our work to you all.

Without further ado I present to you our first Historical campaign – "Operation Neptune" (aka D-Day)

You will play through 28 scenarios, one after the other in correct historical succession, to see if YOU can recreate history. Will the Germans be able to push the Allies back into the sea this time or will the Allies achieve their objectives with you as their commander ?

Download this file, print it out and keep the score game after game.

A low-ink version of this file is planned and will be uploaded within a couple of days. A map to accompany this campaign is also in the works.

This campaign is the first of many… Work has already started on "Operation Overlord" and a third is still in the planning stage.

I hope you will enjoy this campaign as much as we enjoyed making it.

We are open to comments/suggestions so please feel free to react to this thread.

Historical Campaign - Operation Neptune Posted on [06/06/2019] à 14:46

CHANGELOG:

Download the new version.

1.1 → June 7th, 2019

NEW: Win conditions on page 7.

• Timeline in the left-most column is in red now, for more emphasis.

• Expansion markers to show when only some of the scenarios were used in this campaign. The rest of the scenarios of such an expansion will be used in the upcoming Operation Overlord campaign sheet.

1.0 → June 6th, 2019

• First release.

☠Heroes System Belgium Represent ☠

Historical Campaign - Operation Neptune Posted on [06/06/2019] à 14:50

Strong!

Historical Campaign - Operation Neptune Posted on [06/06/2019] à 15:18

Rust wil be no probleem!i wil enjoy it. Thanks doe making it

Zijn er ook nerderlandse spelers onder ons? Omgeving nijmegen, uden, enz.

Historical Campaign - Operation Neptune Posted on [06/06/2019] à 15:19

Sorry for the text. The autocorrect is a pain in the ass.

Zijn er ook nerderlandse spelers onder ons? Omgeving nijmegen, uden, enz.

Historical Campaign - Operation Neptune Posted on [06/06/2019] à 15:41

Amazing job!

Thanks Eclo for sharing!!

Hana wa skuragi Ito wa bushi

Historical Campaign - Operation Neptune Posted on [06/06/2019] à 16:30

Quote from Bizzio on [06/06/2019] à 15:41

Amazing job!

and bartdevuyst because if it was just me you would have gotten a black/white excel sheet 😉

Historical Campaign - Operation Neptune Posted on [06/06/2019] à 18:34

Quote from Eclo on [06/06/2019] à 16:30

Quote from Bizzio on [06/06/2019] à 15:41

Amazing job!

and bartdevuyst because if it was just me you would have gotten a black/white excel sheet 😉

Amazing graphic job!

Thanks Bartdevuyst for sharing!!!

😀

Hana wa skuragi Ito wa bushi

Historical Campaign - Operation Neptune Posted on [07/06/2019] à 00:10

Looks really good. Typo on the last page though – 'Caculate' should be 'Calculate' 🙂

Historical Campaign - Operation Neptune Posted on [07/06/2019] à 03:44

Eclo and Bart,

Thank you for creating and sharing this. This is cool and should answer the question of what to play next after the core set. I am exactly at this point.

Also, thank you for posting this in English.

This campaign and further campaign should be added to the official scenario donwload section.

It is a great way to help fans get some structure of how to play the expansions as well as provide an incentive to get all of the expansions for HoN.

Looking at the number of expansion scenarios used section, do you think that it would be helpful to put something like 2/X? This way we know how many scenarios are used and how many are to be played later on separately or in a different campaign. I am not sure if this campaign uses all of the scenarios from the expansions or some.

Happy HoN player in Toronto.

Historical Campaign - Operation Neptune Posted on [07/06/2019] à 09:36

This is amazingly well researched and presented. Thank you both Eclo and Bartdevuyst!!

Historical Campaign - Operation Neptune Posted on [07/06/2019] à 09:59

Quote from geetee123 on [07/06/2019] à 00:10

Looks really good. Typo on the last page though – 'Caculate' should be 'Calculate' 🙂

Thanks for pointing this out, GT! I'll fix it.

Quote from slyfox on [07/06/2019] à 03:44

Looking at the number of expansion scenarios used section, do you think that it would be helpful to put something like 2/X? This way we know how many scenarios are used and how many are to be played later on separately or in a different campaign. I am not sure if this campaign uses all of the scenarios from the expansions or some.

While designing I thought about this. I'll see how I can add it because it seems helpful. Thanks for reporting this!

Historical Campaign - Operation Neptune Posted on [07/06/2019] à 13:00

One of the things that I really enjoy about HoN is the mini story that each scenario provides. While the scenario tells you how to setup the mission, the story tells you what is happening and what you are trying to achieve.

So I started my research online and searched through some of my books and tried to come up with a historical accurate moment in time at which each scenario would have happened. Some scenarios were easy, some required a lot of research and some were almost impossible. But in the end I managed to come up with a 'scenario timeline.

I think that adding some of your research findings to the campaign would be great. At its current state it is a good looking score card. What we are missing is:

– What is Operation Neptune?

– What is the story behind each scenario bundle?

– What is actually happening in the timeline?

I would love this project to turn into an actual campaign but we need a story or a set of short stories.

Historical Campaign - Operation Neptune Posted on [07/06/2019] à 15:25

Quote from slyfox on [07/06/2019] à 13:00

– What is Operation Neptune?

"Operation Neptune" is the official name for D-Day, so the story of this campaign is the story of D-Day.

And by playing through the scenarios you can recreate the events to see if you can change history.

(BTW we are going to update the file shortly)

Is this what you mean or something else ?

Historical Campaign - Operation Neptune Posted on [07/06/2019] à 15:39

Here's the first update with some changes. Koen wrote some short stories on how you can influence the war… Do you have what it takes to change history?

Download the new version.

1.1 → June 7th, 2019

NEW: Win conditions on page 7.

• Timeline in the left-most column is in red now, for more emphasis.

• Expansion markers to show when only some of the scenarios were used in this campaign. The rest of the scenarios of such an expansion will be used in the upcoming Operation Overlord campaign sheet.

Historical Campaign - Operation Neptune Posted on [07/06/2019] à 15:39

Yes. But I would love to see some text with a little background with a paragraph or two explaining what the whole thing is all about. Just to give it some flavour.

Imagine that I’m going to pull out this file in front of somebody who does not know much about World War II and wants to learn a little bit. Or imagine a father playing this campaign with his son and wants to tell his son a little bit more about what is going on. I think an additional page with some background information would be useful.

Historical Campaign - Operation Neptune Posted on [07/06/2019] à 15:46

OK, I have an idea in my head already… Let me think about it for a while and I'll see what we can do.

BTW check out the new version of the campaign file !

Historical Campaign - Operation Neptune Posted on [09/06/2019] à 12:02

Holy shit!!! What a ton of work must have gone in to this! Thanks a lot! Shame I haven't got all the expansions so I wont be able to play.

Historical Campaign - Operation Neptune Posted on [09/06/2019] à 12:03

There’s a promo on the site to complete your collection… wink wink 😈 :mrgreen:

Historical Campaign - Operation Neptune Posted on [09/06/2019] à 13:50

Quote from JanHoos on [09/06/2019] à 12:02

Shame I haven't got all the expansions so I wont be able to play.

If you are missing a few you can always skip these and play the rest of the campaign. There are 28 scenarios in total so if you are missing 6 or 8 there's still enough left in the campaign. You will have to do a quick recalculation of your end score to see if you won a minor, major of complete victory but that won't be hard.

bartdevuyst and myself are both completionists, we both have everything HoN related (or close enough, I'm only missing Miller's Rangers 🙁 )

Pages: 1 2