Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.
RSS Feed MembersSearch
Pages: 1
WWII Tattoo
WWII Tattoo Posted on [15/08/2019] à 20:26

Hey everyone!

So I'm in the process of getting a WWII themed sleeve. It's going really well so far (I'll post some pictures when I figure out how), but I'm concerned about one thing. I was intending on getting a Stuka dive bomber as one part of the tattoo, but I'm worried people with think I'm some sort of neo-nazi/racist because of the Iron Cross that is on the wings. I've been googling a bunch and am getting really mixed responses.

What do you guys think? Should I just swap it for a Spitfire just to be safe?

Oh and I'll also post a picture of my HoN inspired tattoo… once I figure out how… 😉

WWII Tattoo Posted on [16/08/2019] à 09:12

I'm not going to advise you on what you should do… I just want to clarify some things.

The Cross you are talking about is the "Balkenkreuz" and not an Iron Cross. This Balkenkreuz was first used in 1915 during WW1.

The "Iron Cross" was first created in 1813 during the Napoleonic Wars and reinstated again in 1870 and 1914 before for the last time in 1939 during WW2. Hitler did add some grades to the award (Knights Cross and the Oakleaves, Swords, Diamond and Gold Diamonds versions)

The current Bundeswehr still uses an iron cross as its emblem : see here

So, although both the Balkenkreuz and the Iron Cross are associated with Nazi-Germany, they were in fact not really Nazi-symbols.

WWII Tattoo Posted on [16/08/2019] à 09:45

I tink hou meer to take a tatoo thats have a story to tell for you. Becaus hou will walk with it. I can not tell you what you have to do. Good luck and make it a Nice one!!

Zijn er ook nerderlandse spelers onder ons? Omgeving nijmegen, uden, enz.

WWII Tattoo Posted on [16/08/2019] à 19:56

Ya, I definitely meant the Balkenkreuz.

I personally don't think that that symbol is offensive. But, after doing some more research on it I wasn't so sure. I just want to be sure that it is just uneducated people being trolls online. That's why I came here instead of Reddit, we have a really honest and polite community so I knew I'd get a straight answer. It's obviously a very touchy subject so I just wanted to be extra careful before permanently having it on my body.

I would be ok changing it, but I am proud of my German heritage so being able to have the Stuka would mean more to me than a British or US plane that I don't really have an association to, besides my love of WWII history

Hence the Tattoo 🙂

WWII Tattoo Posted on [17/08/2019] à 00:27

Is the Stuka/cross going to feature largely in the tattoo? Or is it offset by equally prominent Allied vehicles and symbols? It's really tough. In the current climate every little thing can be construed as racist or Neo-Nazi. Heck, some public schools and colleges in the U.S. have removed the nation's flag because it has been deemed offensive and insensitive. So, considering the symbolism and the permanence (a tattoo), I think I would avoid it.

WWII Tattoo Posted on [17/08/2019] à 01:40

That's what I was kinda thinking. It will cover most of my upper arm and would be quite prominent. Most people just don't know enough about it to understand and jump to conclusions. I think I'll avoid it just to be safe. Thanks for the opinions everyone!

Pages: 1