Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.
RSS Feed MembersSearch
Pages: 1
Suppressive fire on the move
Suppressive fire on the move Posted on [29/08/2019] à 00:15

Hey all,

I am sure I have seen this before on the forum, but couldn't find it again with a search. My question is:

Is the fire-on-the-move penalty also doubled when doing suppressive fire? I think I saw that it is, but just want to double check.

To give an example, Tactical unit firing on the move at Sluggaz in cover.

Tactical:

Combat Value(CV): +3

Fire-on-the-move penalty(FotM): -2

Sluggaz:

Cover bonus (C): +1

Assuming a die roll (D) of 4 in each case, which of these is correct?

1. ((+3[CV] + -2[FoTM]) * 2) + 4[D] – (+1[C]) = 5

2. ((+3[CV]) * 2) + -2[FoTM] + 4[D] – (+1[C]) = 7

When I first played the game I was doing No. 2, later I had it pointed out that it should be No. 1.

Can I just get confirmation of which is correct. Thanks.

Suppressive fire on the move Posted on [29/08/2019] à 00:30

1. is correct. Except you don’t include the defenders terrain bonus in the attackers calculation.

There actually is a really handy Firing Action résolution flow list on page 30 of the rulebook. Follow that and you get your correct result. :mrgreen:

The Move chart above that is also very good in explaining timing issues.

☠Heroes System Belgium Represent ☠

Suppressive fire on the move Posted on [29/08/2019] à 00:33

However, DO NOT count that cover from the defender in the attacker’s calculation!!!

So your result for 1. is 6.

Compare that with the Sluggas defense value + 1 for the terrain. (4 + 1 I think?) So that’s a hit and the Sluggas get one Suppressed Marker. Now finish it off with an Assault! 😈

Suppressive fire on the move Posted on [29/08/2019] à 00:43

Thanks. Yes, sorry wrote the example in a hurry and wasn't thinking much about the defender. So the Tactical squad score 6 and that is compared to Defence Value of 4 + +1 Cover, which is 5.

So when doing Suppressive Fire, to put 2 tokens on the Sluggaz, then the Ultramarines would need a final attack score of 10 (not possible in this case without using cards or some other bonuses).

Suppressive fire on the move Posted on [29/08/2019] à 00:45

Yup, correct about that Double Hit!

Suppressive fire on the move Posted on [29/08/2019] à 00:48

Thanks Bart!

Suppressive fire on the move Posted on [29/08/2019] à 08:14

p. 30 had a great chart to show you when and how modifiers to Firing Actions are included in the math.

(I keep telling DPG they need to put that section in the FIRING section, but the reference sheet is where is still lives.)

Volunteer Moderator of the English Language Forums
Remember: If you are not willing to shell your own position you are not willing to win!

Suppressive fire on the move Posted on [29/08/2019] à 08:27

Thanks Nostra. Yes, that section is very good, but in totally the wrong place!

Keep telling them because really a reference sheet shouldn't contain rules that are not in the main rules, it should just be a summary sheet. I'm sure there are others that pass over that reference page assuming it will provide no new information.

Suppressive fire on the move Posted on [29/08/2019] à 20:52

Quote from geetee123 on [29/08/2019] à 08:27

…a reference sheet shouldn't contain rules that are not in the main rules…I'm sure there are others that pass over that reference page assuming it will provide no new information.

Exactly!

Meanwhile, we all need to tell new players that important information is in the reference sheet.

Volunteer Moderator of the English Language Forums
Remember: If you are not willing to shell your own position you are not willing to win!

Pages: 1