Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.
RSS Feed MembersSearch
Pages: 1
Ready! Card
Ready! Card Posted on [12/09/2019] à 12:41

Hi all,

I have a question about the Ready! action card. The card's battle event reads:

Remove an Activation marker or an Order token from one of your units. It can act again with the aid of a card, a special ability, or during the Supply Phase.

I have used this card to act again with a unit in the Supply Phase, but does anyone have any examples of how a unit can act again with the aid of 'a card' or a 'special ability'?

I feel I am maybe missing ways this action card can be used that I have not exploited yet.

Thanks.

Ready! Card Posted on [12/09/2019] à 13:20

Special Ability can refer to Overwatch.

Example: A unit already activated. You then play Ready! and remove its Activated Markeror Order Token. That unit, which has the Overwatch special ability, can then act again (if the rules for Overwatch apply).

Card can refer to a card called Always Ready!

That Always Ready! card lets you move an Order Token from another unit to the unit that already acted but is now ready to act again thanks to the Ready! card. So basically, you play Ready! first to remove an Order Token/Activated Marker, and then you play Always Ready! to move another Order Token to that unit so that it can activate again. It's really powerful and allows for some neat double activations.

Card can refer also refer to a card called Opportunity Fire!.

Like in the first situation, there's a unit that has already acted. Ready! removes its Order Token or Activated Marker, then the Opportunity Fire card lets it act again.

☠Heroes System Belgium Represent ☠

Ready! Card Posted on [12/09/2019] à 22:37

Thanks Bart, that's a very helpful summary.

In the last part you mentioned Opportunistic Fire card, from what you say, does it mean that the Opportunity Fire card can only be used on non-activated units? The text on that card is not specific, it just says 'one of your unit'. So would it be more correct like this:

During this activation, one of your non-activated units can take a firing action as if it has the Overwatch special ability.

I assume once the card is played on the unit it would then be marked as having been activated?

Ready! Card Posted on [13/09/2019] à 08:49

Lets take a look at the text of the card:

Play during the activation of an enemy unit.

During this activation, one of your units can take a firing action as if it has the Overwatch special ability

I highlighted the important part in red.

So the card lets your unit take a firing action according to the Overwatch ability, so let's take a look at the rules for Overwatch:

Overwatch, p. 16

During the Activation Phase (only), a non-activated Unit with this Special Ability may take a Firing Action against an enemy Unit after that Unit completes a Firing Action or at any time during that enemy Unit's Movement Action.

If the Unit fires, it loses any Order Token it had and receives an Activated Marker.

Highlight in red again.

So you can only use Overwatch if the unit is non-activated. There is no exclusion on the card saying "even if the unit has already acted" or anything like that, so all the Overwatch rules apply.

And your other question about an Activated Marker is also answered in the rules for Overwatch.

I don't think the card needs to be changed, you just need to apply the mechanics as specified.

Volunteer Moderator of the English Language Forums
Remember: If you are not willing to shell your own position you are not willing to win!

Ready! Card Posted on [13/09/2019] à 09:55

… What Nostradunwhich says is entirely correct.

Some cards texts expect you to apply standard rules. It would be cumbersome to restate all common rules.

Ready! Card Posted on [13/09/2019] à 10:01

You're missing the most potent way of using the card Ready!. It requires a unit with autonomous (not sure of the translation in english). You activate it with autonomous (it only requires that the unit has no used order or activated counter). Nice thing : units with autonomous are often quite powerfull. Then you use ready to remove the activated counter that autonomous placed on the unit.

Great ! You're unit is again without used order or activated token so you can activate it again with autonomous. Double activation, anytime you want. If you've got 2 ready! cards, 3 activations. If you have Wittmann, you've probably just won the game.

Sweat saves blood, blood saves lives, but brains saves both. Erwin Rommel

Ready! Card Posted on [13/09/2019] à 10:18

You're entirely right, Anacreon! Units with the Autonomous special ability can be reactivated this way… in HoN/SoN/HoS that is…

BUT BUT BUT… we're talking about Heroes of Black Reach here… And the Autonomous special ability does not exist in the Black Reach world. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ready! Card Posted on [13/09/2019] à 10:26

That's more very useful information. Thanks.

I will just say one thing about the clarity of cards though, the rules state:

When you play a Battle Event, follow the instructions printed on the card...If the Action card goes against a game rule, the text of the card always applies...

This is why I wondered if the unit could have already been activated – because maybe the card was overriding the rule as written. In light of this I still think the clarification would help, but maybe that's just me.

Anyway, thanks for all the helpful responses.

Ready! Card Posted on [13/09/2019] à 13:21

Sorry, my bad.

Sweat saves blood, blood saves lives, but brains saves both. Erwin Rommel

Ready! Card Posted on [13/09/2019] à 21:16

Quote from geetee123 on [13/09/2019] à 10:26

That's more very useful information. Thanks.

I will just say one thing about the clarity of cards though, the rules state:

When you play a Battle Event, follow the instructions printed on the card...If the Action card goes against a game rule, the text of the card always applies...

This is why I wondered if the unit could have already been activated – because maybe the card was overriding the rule as written. In light of this I still think the clarification would help, but maybe that's just me.

Anyway, thanks for all the helpful responses.

That is why I pointed out that nothing on the card text overrules the standard mechanics. If there had been such a mention, then you would have been correct and the card would have overridden the standard rules. But all the card says is your unit may act as if they had the Overwatch ability, nothing more.

Volunteer Moderator of the English Language Forums
Remember: If you are not willing to shell your own position you are not willing to win!

Pages: 1