Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.
RSS Feed MembersSearch
Pages: 1
[FAN] Activation Phase House Rules
Activation Phase House Rules Posted on [06/03/2020] à 22:45

My gaming group has been playing Heroes of Normandie (HON) for a couple of years now. We really enjoy the game, with the exception of the unit movement portion of the Supply Phase. Based on my reading of the forums here, I think that there may be some other players who would enjoy a modification of how the Supply Phase works.

I hope that I am not stepping on the game designer's toes with my proposal of this house rule. HON is a great game and we are just trying to make it better – in our humble opinion.

Therefore, I wanted to share a simple house rule we have been using in our HON games for the last couple of months. The house rule stays with the spirit of the original HON system – which we like very much – but eliminates the movement of units during the Supply Phase – all other housekeeping events that the original rules call for in the Supply Phase still take place then.

Here is how it works,

1) Follow the Order Phase as written in the Compendium on page #9. Place your order tokens on your units as directed.

2) Follow the Activation Phase as written in the Compendium on page #10. Play your Action Cards as desired and activate your units in the sequence of your Order Tokens.

3) Once you have activated a unit and completed it's action, place an Activated marker on it. This is an important step.

4) Once you have used all your Order Tokens to activate units and placed the Activated markers on the units. Remove the used Order Tokens from the board.

Round One of the turn is now complete.

For Round Two,

5) Re-count the number of Order Tokens you are entitled to, as this may have changed during the proceeding round's Activation Phase.

6) Follow the Order Phase as written in the Compendium on page #9. Place your order tokens on your units that do not have Activated markers on them.

2) Follow the Activation Phase as written in the Compendium on page #10. Play your Action Cards as desired and activate your units in the sequence of your order tokens. Note that you do not draw any additional Action Cards from round to round!

3) Once you have activated a unit and completed it's action, place an Activated marker on it.

4) Once you have used all your Order Tokens to activate units and placed the Activated markers on the units. Remove the used Order Tokens from the board.

Round two of the turn is now complete.

We continue to follow these rounds until all units have had the opportunity to activate during the turn. Once all units have been activated we do a 'mini' Supply Phase that allows for things like Special Abilities, Action Cards, Recruitment Options etc. to take place. However, no units are moved during the Supply Phase.

So what we have done is replace the movement portion of the Supply Phase with repeating Order and Activation Phases. This procedure eliminates the ability of units to move during the Supply Phase without attacking or being attacked.

However, by using this repeating Order and Activation Phase system, you will slow down your games. Speed of play is mentioned by the designers on page #15 of the Compendium as a reason they went with a unit movement system during the Supply Phase of the game.

I hope that there are other HON fans out there that enjoy this house rule. Our group likes it a lot and we are willing to slow our games down a bit to eliminate the movement portion of the Supply Phase.

Activation Phase House Rules Posted on [07/03/2020] à 15:53

The fun thing about casual board games is that you can change the rules anyway you like as long as your group agrees with it.

Looking at the rules outlined, it would make the game significantly slower and basically eliminate the entire supply phase. I really like it the way it is.

The only change that I think that I have to agree with my friend on is to allow opportunistic fire if a unit has a corresponding ability and not from a card. For example, thematically it makes no sense for a unit to avoid MG-34 Nest LOW during the activation phase but to walk freely right in front of it during the supply phase.

Happy HoN player in Toronto.

Activation Phase House Rules Posted on [10/03/2020] à 17:42

Quote from slyfox on [07/03/2020] à 15:53

The fun thing about casual board games is that you can change the rules anyway you like as long as your group agrees with it.

Well said!

Quote from slyfox on [07/03/2020] à 15:53

Looking at the rules outlined, it would make the game significantly slower and basically eliminate the entire supply phase. I really like it the way it is.

The only change that I think that I have to agree with my friend on is to allow opportunistic fire if a unit has a corresponding ability and not from a card. For example, thematically it makes no sense for a unit to avoid MG-34 Nest LOW during the activation phase but to walk freely right in front of it during the supply phase.

The most obvious reason not to do this, is that it slows the game down quite a bit. As soon as OpFire has complete control of an area, then the players have to work a lot harder to work their way around. Especially since you cannot suppress the OpFire unit during the Supply Phase so it becomes a lot MORE powerful than it would be during a normal turn. If you are going to allow OpFire in the Support phase, it makes a lot more sense to just eliminate the Supply Phase all together.

That seems counter to your point that you like the fast-play style of HSTS.

It also makes absolutely no logical sense that you can use the OpFire ability but not the OpFire card, which grants a unit the OpFire ability.

The Supply Phase is there to allow players to move forward and get stuck in. It is there to keep the play more action-packed. It represents the "fog of war" where the MG nest is focused on units representing more threat (the ones that can shoot that round), and other units can use the distraction to move through the fire zone. If you have left a MG nest so exposed that an enemy can just "walk up to it" in the Supply Phase, that is a failure on the part of the commander.

This all gets dragged out periodically by players who are not comfortable with the fact that the Activation Phase and the Supply Phase are really sort of two "layers" of the same period of time — first you resolve the units with shooting orders that present the direct threat, and then you resolve the "background" units that are just supposed to move while the fight is going on, using the actions of the active units as cover to allow them to move around.

Volunteer Moderator of the English Language Forums
Remember: If you are not willing to shell your own position you are not willing to win!

Activation Phase House Rules Posted on [11/03/2020] à 14:48

I do not like the wooden blocks and pre-designating which units will attack.

So generally I just pick a unit and activate it one at a time until out of orders.

The wooden blocks change the way you conduct operations because you are aware of which units pose a threat and can concentrate fire upon them.

If a unit is being menaced by multiple foes and one of those foes has a wooden block on its head they can simply suppress that single unit and the rest are rendered impotent.

If I am playing HOBR and manage to position 3-4 orks in position to assault a marine unit, that marine can stop the entire group by suppressing the unit with the block on its head.

Just my preference for play style as I prefer a bit more uncertainty.

Regarding activation and OP fire.

I have been meshing Heroes with Squad Leader and have used the idea that certain units can be placed in a defensive mode.

During the orders phase any unit EXCEPT infantry in open terrain can be given a overwatch counter. That unit can not be activated in the orders or supply phase. It does have overwatch throughout the turn.

It may fire during the activation phase at moving units only- not as counter fire.

it may fire during the supply phase only at moving units with unobscured LOS and not terrain. IN other words, only at units with no penalty to fire in plain sight. This means overwatch units that get suppressed may NOT fire during the supply phase because of the penalty.

The net effect is that you can place units in overwatch and the enemy can choose to simply blast them with orders depriving them of any use. Overwatch only fires at movers- not at units firing. They are a counter to enemy movement only.

Likewise, overwatch in the supply phase is limited to targets stupid enough to blunder about in open ground. It is still perfectly possible to move about with out getting shot in the supply phase but you must suppress the enemy or move in cover.

Infantry would never assume a defensive posture in open ground and are therefore not allowed to be placed in overwatch while in the open.

Just some house rules I tinker with. I replaced Squad Leader with Heroes but still like some of the mechanics a bit so incorporate them.

I am 90% playing solo because of no players in my area so it really is meaningless whatever I do with smashing games together to come up with a hybrid system.

just wanted to share some ideas.

I kind of like the multiple phase idea as I like getting more units in to the action.

I was teaching my nephew to play the other week using exact rules as written, (none of my house rules) including placing wooden blocks and all and he was not pleased with so few units fighting. It was frustrating for him to have so many marines setting about slacking when they were needed in the fight!

Pages: 1