Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.
RSS Feed MembersSearch
Pages: 1
Tric trac interview
Tric trac interview Posted on [24/04/2020] à 16:10

I read the summary of the interview on the main page.

It seems to indicate that sales of Black Reach were "catastrophic". This is surprising to me as I quite enjoy the game.

Can anyone comment more on the interview please?

How does the future look?

I am going to watch for the upcoming kick starter. The summary confused me. I was under the impression the new kick starter is for HoN v.2, and then the interview says it is for cards only?

Going to wait till the 28th and see what happens. I do no think the timing is good for a kick starter with the economy in trouble. I will be buying the card decks for sure, and perhaps a new version of the game if available.

Tric trac interview Posted on [24/04/2020] à 17:33

Hi Ken,

I watched the interview when it was live. The résumé indeed states that sales for HoBR weren't as good as expected, acknowledging that funds for marketing, promotion, sales and distribution are somewhat limited.

As you can see, there's still a lot of HoBR products in stock, on the DPG site alone already. Although the game got good reviews, as a company you still need to actively promote a game in order to get it selling well. Such a thing is costly.

In short, the interview explained that times were and are though for DPG, but that the company is alive and kicking. It was explained that during the time of the Strategic Resupply KS campaign, things got a bit out of hand. Simply put, that project was too large, with too many add-ons, stretch goals and what not. In the future DPG will only launch smaller projects, which are easier to handle. Yann said they'll focus on going to KS/P500 only when the project's 90% done already, ready-for-print, that is.

About the future:

• The upcoming Kickstarter campaign with 2.0 card decks for all major HoN armies (US, GE, UK), as well as a new deck for the FFI, rendering for the first time as a standalone army. A 24-page scenario booklet with three scenarios for HoN, HoS and SoN each. There's a bit more, but I'm not spoiling that yet.

• The interview talked about the progress for the HoN 2.0 Core box and how far that has advanced so far.

• Last month, Yann and Clem teased Heroes of Fantasy, a new medieval/fantasy Heroes System line. It's still in its early design phase. The major change here will be that the game won't have action card decks and a simpler system of recruitment options and special abilities.

• Nothing really concrete about Heroes of Valedor, besides the acknowledgment that licensing products is not cheap.

This image was shared on social media about the HoN 2.0 core box progress:

☠☠☠Heroes of Belgium ☠☠☠

Tric trac interview Posted on [24/04/2020] à 17:48

Work in progress developments for Heroes of Fantasy, with core Undead and Knight armies, as well as a 'neutral' human faction that can be enlisted by either base army.

Modular castle walls:

A hero. Note: this is placeholder artwork from Kharnage.

Recruitment Tiles (placeholder artwork from Age of Towers and Kharnage).

☠☠☠Heroes of Belgium ☠☠☠

Tric trac interview Posted on [24/04/2020] à 21:34

am curious, just hope that the new kickstarter only contains heroes or normandie and possibly heroes or stalingrad products. I like the idea of ​​the new cards and the new core box. I personally not interested in the other products, although I think the fantasy version might also be great storming castles. hope the company can keep its head above water as I really enjoy their games and products.

Zijn er ook nerderlandse spelers onder ons? Omgeving nijmegen, uden, enz.

Tric trac interview Posted on [24/04/2020] à 21:35

No worries, the new campaign is focused on WW2. :mrgreen:

☠☠☠Heroes of Belgium ☠☠☠

Tric trac interview Posted on [24/04/2020] à 23:04

Thanks for the write up of the interview.

I think the upcoming KS will also contain something for the Shadows also.

This is supposed to be a joyful occasion. Lets not bicker and argue about who killed who.

Tric trac interview Posted on [25/04/2020] à 11:42

Not sure if a fantasy version would be able to compete with the current wave of offerings from companies like CMON. I backed 2 of their games on kickstarter and they are a fantasy boardgame with piles of great minis thrown in. There are dozens of them going on at any given time.

I will have to read up on it and will consider it. It is not an automatic buy in for sure.

Products to compliment my current collection are of more interest to me. There are still plenty of WW2 material untapped.

And with the 40K license the amount of material is gigantic. But it seems sales are not great in that range.

Tric trac interview Posted on [27/04/2020] à 03:22

I looked through the translations for this interview.

It is disappointing to me that the W40K range has not been more successful. The sheer quality of the artwork, and the Heroes System are both excellent and make for some wonderful games. Looked at purely as a game on its own merits it is superb. It is very sad when a game with so much potential hasn't sold as well as everyone hoped.

Delays in getting it released probably didn't help the marketing. I remember seeing the promo pack on a white dwarf magazine a long time before the game actually arrived, so any hype from that had probably fizzled out by release time.

I am sure the P500 for HoBR will ultimately ship, things do seem to ship even if it takes a long time and I am still looking forward to adding those units and terrain tiles to my collection. I understand the issues that DPG have been having with finances, etc, so I try to be patient.

I still hope that Heroes of Valedor can be made, because I would love to be able to run battles with more than just Orks and Ultramarines. I know it probably won't be for a while, but I hope one day DPG will be financially secure enough to return to the W40K universe and bring us more awesome products and hopefully to a wider audience.

Tric trac interview Posted on [27/04/2020] à 08:05

I think everything up to the HoBR P500 has now shipped (barring the outliers), so the HoBR should be the next one to be processed.

I am also saddened by the low sales of HoBR. It is very good game and I was waiting for the eldar and 'nids to show up.

I like the system and will be buying whatever will be added to it. The fantasy seems to be interesting (I want that castle for WW2 games also! Lol!)

This is supposed to be a joyful occasion. Lets not bicker and argue about who killed who.

Tric trac interview Posted on [27/04/2020] à 14:17

My opinions regarding this are not echoed on this forum, but here goes.

The modern high demand board game have plastic minis and not cardboard tokens.

While the cardboard tokens have an appeal to many old time wargamers like myself, a buyer has to compare the product. A game like Zombicide has lots of minis in it AND a board game. If you buy a HoBR and a couple of reinforcements at retail you are in the $140 range. That will get you a Massive Darkness style pledge on kickstarter.

There are so many minis in that box it is stunning.

Here is the side benefit, a lot of people will buy the game just for the minis. If they enjoy the game that is a bonus but they know they are getting a pile of models.

I personally am building and playing Heroes as a minis/board game. In the past I tried to contact Devil Pig about the possibility of a 3D "upgrade" to be made for HoBR. I was never given a reply or a confirmation that they even read the message.

There are active groups in the 3D printer community making 15mm models for 40K. It is not as crazy an idea as it sounds. I personally think it would hepl bring more attention to the board game.

I am not privy to inside information regarding the company. I am just extremely happy to have what I have now and to be able to use it as a tool box to make my own games. Would little plastic marines be cool? Yes. But my 3D printed ones are OK.

I recently printed another Ork battlewagon and 3 deff dredds. They look great. I plan on making a modular wall system to recreate the terrain on the boards.

I will be backing the new kick starter on the 28th and keeping an eye out for future games. I already have multiple fantasy themed board games and will decide about the fantasy game when it is annouced.

Heroes of Valedor is very much anticipated by me. But if MARINES did not sell that game sounds doomed to fail. 😥

Tric trac interview Posted on [27/04/2020] à 14:48

I understand your point, Ken.

For DPG, the Heroes System is a cardboard rendering of a game like Bolt Action or Flames of War with 15mm miniatures (unlike the normal 28mm for Bolt Action). It's a niche between table-top mini gaming and board games.

The actual price of a WW2 miniatures war game is a tenfold compared to our beloved card board version, I'm afraid. Especially if you'd need minis for all different nations, vehicles and weapon layouts alone (like in HoN). And then you haven't taken into account terrain building or painting yet… 😎

I think the Heroes System is a nice in between, in my opinion.

☠☠☠Heroes of Belgium ☠☠☠

Tric trac interview Posted on [27/04/2020] à 20:55

Quote from bartdevuyst on [27/04/2020] à 14:48

For DPG, the Heroes System is a cardboard rendering of a game like Bolt Action or Flames of War with 15mm miniatures (unlike the normal 28mm for Bolt Action). It's a niche between table-top mini gaming and board games.

The actual price of a WW2 miniatures war game is a tenfold compared to our beloved card board version, I'm afraid. Especially if you'd need minis for all different nations, vehicles and weapon layouts alone (like in HoN). And then you haven't taken into account terrain building or painting yet… 😎

Years ago I was excited to purchase a game called Tide of Iron. It was a board game with plastic minis that you built squads and such. In many respects the scope was similar to HoN. I do not remember it being extremely expensive, but I do remember game play did not appeal to me much. I sent it to my nephews a long time ago.

Heroes has a great game play system that I prefer much better. I have sent my nephews HoS and HoBR. But I purchased their own copies because I am keeping mine!

In whatever manner it proceeds I am planning on enjoying this system for some time. I think I might do another you tube video……………

Tric trac interview Posted on [27/04/2020] à 21:54

Quote from kenofyork on [27/04/2020] à 14:17

While the cardboard tokens have an appeal to many old time wargamers like myself, a buyer has to compare the product. A game like Zombicide has lots of minis in it AND a board game. If you buy a HoBR and a couple of reinforcements at retail you are in the $140 range. That will get you a Massive Darkness style pledge on kickstarter.

You bring up a lot of good points, and although I do not dispute even this point as a general concept (some other games offer better value with plastic), it is not a 100% fair comparison. What will that much money get your from Games Workshop?

$160 US gets you the WH40K Dark Imperium set of 53 minis, the full rules, a ruler and some dice. That is 4 squads of marines and some characters as well as a set of Chaos (I think?) with a few marines and mostly cultists as well as one perhaps killa-can equivalent. No vehicles of any kind, which cost a LOT extra.

(image is part of the GW website, linked here for purposes of comparison)

Now, those are 3D miniatures, but to paint them to the quality of the HoBR minis involves a significant investment in paint and time. It is an adjunct hobby in and of itself. So both minis and cardboard each have their trade-offs.

Volunteer Moderator of the English Language Forums
Remember: If you are not willing to shell your own position you are not willing to win!

Tric trac interview Posted on [27/04/2020] à 22:24

That is before you factor in things like the ability to carry a set of two large forces, an entire tables worth of terrain, etc. in a single game box. No foam carriers for the various bits.

And I won't even get into the time saved in painting 🙂

Volunteer Moderator of the English Language Forums
Remember: If you are not willing to shell your own position you are not willing to win!

Tric trac interview Posted on [27/04/2020] à 22:26

Quote from Nostradunwhich on [27/04/2020] à 22:24

No foam carriers for the various bits.

You should see my cabinet of Feldherr trays full of various miniatures… 😎

☠☠☠Heroes of Belgium ☠☠☠

Tric trac interview Posted on [29/04/2020] à 08:55

I cannot read the discussion of the French forums, so I guess I ask here what I'd like to know:

How compatible is the Fantasy game to the rest of the Heroes games?

Can I use the Undead army against US rangers for example? Or are the rules diverging too much that the games are not compatible?

For example, I can easily enough combine Heroes of Black Reach with Shadows of Normandie or Heroes of Normandie.

I like it that you can mix and match the games and I hope the same continues with Heroes of Fantasy… I want the Army of the Dead to invade WW2 europe!

Tric trac interview Posted on [29/04/2020] à 09:01

Hi Colhammer, I’m not sure about comparability but in theory it could work.

The big difference is the lack of decks for now. So you would be pitching an army without action cards when you’re fielding the HoF factions. I’m not sure how that would work against the classic armies. HoF will also have disposable recruitment options, which is also different.

Who knows we might some day see a classic Heroes of the Middle Ages with classic HSTS decks and gameplay.

All this is still very early so a lot might change.

☠☠☠Heroes of Belgium ☠☠☠

Tric trac interview Posted on [29/04/2020] à 09:13

Quote from Nostradunwhich on [27/04/2020] à 22:24

That is before you factor in things like the ability to carry a set of two large forces, an entire tables worth of terrain, etc. in a single game box. No foam carriers for the various bits.

And I won't even get into the time saved in painting 🙂

This! For me this is the reason why I love the Heroes system. I played warhammer. I still have my army's. They're use and take up SO MUCH ROOM!!! 😛

I remember when moving to and from events, the time I needed to pack everything safe and sound to not scratch the paint… and I was sitting in a bus and train with a bick freaking toolbox that had all my mini's and some small terrain.

About the Fantasy game: I've said it in another topic as well. I'm surprised they're going down this route. I remember they got themselves in trouble by having to many products, lacked focus. But now it seems they're making the same mistake again?

I might be misremembering tho…

Tric trac interview Posted on [29/04/2020] à 09:24

@JanHoos:

The Fantasy game seems to be in early stages of design still, so a long way off.

So I don't think it is affecting the current schedules. Just something they are preparing for the future.

@bartdevuyst:

Thanks for that info. As long as the fantasy game sticks to most of the Heroes rules, I think I can make it work. I can give the skeletons Black Sun or Deep Ones deck for the mixed games, for example, if they do not use card decks in their own games.

Anyway, it is not a deal breaker for me, but I like to mix things up!

Tric trac interview Posted on [29/04/2020] à 10:54

Quote from JanHoos on [29/04/2020] à 09:13

About the Fantasy game: I've said it in another topic as well. I'm surprised they're going down this route. I remember they got themselves in trouble by having to many products, lacked focus. But now it seems they're making the same mistake again?

I might be misremembering tho…

Hi Jan, I understand your point of view.

DPG said they would focus on what they do best, and that's the Heroes System. HoF will still be a Heroes System game, the core of the game is the same as any other Heroes game.

One of DPG's problems was having too many product lines next to the Heroes System. Age of Towers and Kharnage were sold of to Bragelonne Games to regain focus.

☠☠☠Heroes of Belgium ☠☠☠

Pages: 1