Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.
RSS Feed MembersSearch
Pages: 1 2
Best expansions to fill in game aspects missing in Heroes of Stalingrad?
Best expansions to fill in game aspects missing in Heroes of Stalingrad? Posted on [12/05/2020] à 15:35

I found a seller parting with his collection, and am picking up Point du Hoc. It contains the fire counters and wind dial needed to play with spreading fire. This adds something HoS is missing (fire counters and rules).

I am also grabbing the compendium to have a source of any rules missing in the HoS rulesbook?

Does anyone have any suggestions on anything else that would be worth grabbing to greatly benefit HoS?

Any terrain packs that would integrate very will with the HoS terrain, to allow for some east front battles outside of a city?

Or anything else like that? I know we talked about units in a previous post. I wonder what units would be worth grabbing to have fights of the Soviets pushing into Germany?

Best expansions to fill in game aspects missing in Heroes of Stalingrad? Posted on [12/05/2020] à 19:17

For terrain outside the city Battlegrounds packs are good.

The first one has fields and swamps.

Harbor and Hills pack is self-explanitory 🙂

The third one is trains plus roads that would also be useful.

There is also the River set, which is terrain boards with rivers and bridges. The Pegasus Bridge scenario campaign set has more river and

bridge tiles, as the name suggests

Carentan has some more urban boards, but with smaller buildings and less craters. Would be good for a village, and has some Fallschirmjagers as well.

Volunteer Moderator of the English Language Forums
Remember: If you are not willing to shell your own position you are not willing to win!

Best expansions to fill in game aspects missing in Heroes of Stalingrad? Posted on [12/05/2020] à 19:38

Going to grab all the previous terrain expansions as that seems like a great grab. I was avoiding scenario packs because I didn’t want Us or commonwealth troops that weren’t really usable with my Russians. Just checked out Carentan and realized it is only Germans + terrain. Does Carentan have any weird things that wouldn’t work with 2.0 fluidly, like artillery cards or anything else like that. I am waiting on HoN big red one as I really don’t want to own anything that isnt fully within the 2.0 scope.

Love the suggestions Nostradunwhich, thank you

Best expansions to fill in game aspects missing in Heroes of Stalingrad? Posted on [12/05/2020] à 20:25

Quote from Jjmclachlan on [12/05/2020] à 19:38

Does Carentan have any weird things that wouldn’t work with 2.0 fluidly, like artillery cards or anything else like that.

There's nothing in Carentan that's not 2.0, no reference to the older style Artillery or anything else.

Note that the iconography is in the 1.0 style, the icons look the same, but the styling is slightly different and more refined.

For example:

Old

New

☠☠☠Heroes of Belgium ☠☠☠

Best expansions to fill in game aspects missing in Heroes of Stalingrad? Posted on [12/05/2020] à 20:30

In my opinion, the Radar Station & Factory is a cool little terrain pack too. It's great for Free Battle Mode fights when you're building your own battlefield.

It features two double-sided large buildings (Radar Station & Factory obviously), and a cool tunneling system, comparable with the sewers, yet slightly different thanks to a system of lockable doors.

☠☠☠Heroes of Belgium ☠☠☠

Best expansions to fill in game aspects missing in Heroes of Stalingrad? Posted on [12/05/2020] à 21:44

Bart that door system looks awesome! And thanks for the info on Carentan, those graphics look more then fine. Ended up scoring every terrains expansion so far, point du Hoc, the compendium, and Carentan

Best expansions to fill in game aspects missing in Heroes of Stalingrad? Posted on [13/05/2020] à 07:54

Quote from bartdevuyst on [12/05/2020] à 20:30

In my opinion, the Radar Station & Factory is a cool little terrain pack too. It's great for Free Battle Mode fights when you're building your own battlefield.

Great catch, I completely forgot about that pack!

Volunteer Moderator of the English Language Forums
Remember: If you are not willing to shell your own position you are not willing to win!

Best expansions to fill in game aspects missing in Heroes of Stalingrad? Posted on [13/05/2020] à 08:46

I think D-day expansion would be nice addition for Stalingrad also.

The German side gets Festungscompagnie, a platoon with lots of heavy machine guns.

The American combat engineers could kind of represent a Russian combat engineers if you don't mind that the names and such being not russian. Since the Stalingrad russians do not have a combat engineers of their own, I feel like the US unit could work as nice replacement.

You also get many bunkers of various sizes and barbed wire/tank traps.

The beach maps would represent Volga (it is a big river after all), so you could do scenarios of the Russian forces crossing the Volga against germans entrenched at the shorefront. Put some houses from Stalingrad set on the map to blend them in with Stalingrad map.

I like the D-day expansion a lot and feel that it would work well for Stalingrad setting also.

This is supposed to be a joyful occasion. Lets not bicker and argue about who killed who.

Best expansions to fill in game aspects missing in Heroes of Stalingrad? Posted on [13/05/2020] à 11:20

Excellent addition, Colhammer! The Volga river landings should make a good new scenario pack for HoS.

☠☠☠Heroes of Belgium ☠☠☠

Best expansions to fill in game aspects missing in Heroes of Stalingrad? Posted on [13/05/2020] à 11:31

Great suggestion colhammer. Since people are suggesting mixing in american engineers as proxy. Would anyone suggest the achtung minen news #1 that’s adds mines?

Best expansions to fill in game aspects missing in Heroes of Stalingrad? Posted on [13/05/2020] à 11:42

Quote from Jjmclachlan on [13/05/2020] à 11:31

Would anyone suggest the achtung minen news #1 that’s adds mines?

That's a golden oldie! Get it when you can. The Gazettes will probably never be reprinted.

Minefields are neat in my opinion, it's a cool thing in war games. The minefield adds a gamble or push your luck effect which I like, because some mines are decoys, and your opponent doesn't know which are which, unless he steps onto one. 😈

☠☠☠Heroes of Belgium ☠☠☠

Best expansions to fill in game aspects missing in Heroes of Stalingrad? Posted on [13/05/2020] à 11:50

Saddly it looks de can't use gazettes without additionnel army box

Best expansions to fill in game aspects missing in Heroes of Stalingrad? Posted on [13/05/2020] à 11:50

I'm in a similar situation. Started with HoS, but just got SoN also as a present.

Compendium, Battleground 2, Desert Wrath, Mythos 1 are ordered,

so now sniffing out what other expansions are best to grab … and then waiting on Big Red.

Johan Van Gijsegem

Best expansions to fill in game aspects missing in Heroes of Stalingrad? Posted on [13/05/2020] à 13:38

Quote from boundtra on [13/05/2020] à 11:54

Saddly it looks we can't use gazettes without additional army box

The scenarios no, but arent the minefield punchboards totally usable?

Best expansions to fill in game aspects missing in Heroes of Stalingrad? Posted on [13/05/2020] à 13:43

Quote from bartdevuyst on [13/05/2020] à 11:42

Quote from Jjmclachlan on [13/05/2020] à 11:31

Would anyone suggest the achtung minen news #1 that’s adds mines?

That's a golden oldie! Get it when you can. The Gazettes will probably never be reprinted.

Minefields are neat in my opinion, it's a cool thing in war games. The minefield adds a gamble or push your luck effect which I like, because some mines are decoys, and your opponent doesn't know which are which, unless he steps onto one. 😈

Awesome! Any other applicable gazettes? I see Gazette 1 has mines, Gazette 4 has paratrooper rules, Gazette 6 has morale rules. Any gazettes, expansions, or blister packs have any new rules that improve the variability of game play?

The guy I’m buying from has access to everything

Best expansions to fill in game aspects missing in Heroes of Stalingrad? Posted on [13/05/2020] à 15:02

The one with moral rules is pretty cool, as it improves the realism and importance of officers. That gazettes has no Russian Sergeants, but you could use an American instead, the mechanics are the same.

All other mostly focus on one faction or specific moment in the war, so it's pick and choose. Note that the Gazettes are focused products, specially made for fans that own most, or even all content. Most scenarios in these gazettes requite a ton of other expansions, so be warned, this might trigger some strong cases of Collectionitis Maximalis. 😈

• #0 Huge Landing scenario (plus an errata sheet with an FFI bonus)

• #1 Mines (US/GE/Commonwealth)

• #2 Hobart's Funnies (Commonwealth)

• #3 Band of Brothers (US)

• #4 Skorzeny/Mussolini (GE)

• #5 Arnhem maps and Polish Paras (Commonwealth)

• #6 Moral (US/GE/Commonwealth)

• #7 Commandos (Commonwealth) Huge bunker

• #8 Gebirgsjäger (FFI/GE)

☠☠☠Heroes of Belgium ☠☠☠

Best expansions to fill in game aspects missing in Heroes of Stalingrad? Posted on [13/05/2020] à 15:13

The huge bunker from 7 sounds great. Does 0 have terrain pieces correlating to that landing?

The scenarios not applying isn’t a biggy for me, but the bunker, mines, morale, parachute rules etc, could all be used in free play, build your own scenarios correct? Or just play the included scenarios it’s HoS units to match the scenario point values? Or am I off on that?

Best expansions to fill in game aspects missing in Heroes of Stalingrad? Posted on [13/05/2020] à 15:16

No terrain in Gazette #0. The landing scenario requires D-Day terrain.

As always, everything's usable in the Free Battle Mode. Plug & Play™.

You can always check the total point value in a scenario and add different troops for the ones you're missing right until you reach that total value.

☠☠☠Heroes of Belgium ☠☠☠

Best expansions to fill in game aspects missing in Heroes of Stalingrad? Posted on [13/05/2020] à 15:41

All my games are played with free play rules.

I use the mines often. They work for any faction.

I have begun to use the morale rules from gazette 6 as a standard rule.

You can use US or British NCO for Russians (the british ones might be closer to russian colours).

You can add anything you can get your hands on to a free play game!

The Compendium has the rules for all of the older stuff.

I mix HoN and SoN units in my games and now that HoS has come out, I will add it to the mix also. I have even played with the HoBR units mixed in.

(When I got HoBR, I did a test game of 4 sides fighting each other: Ultramarines, Orks, Mi-Go and Demon hunters free for all. The Demon Hunters expansion came out about the same time, so I wanted to try everything new in one game…)

So, rest assured, as long as you have the compendium (for the rules), you can include anything in your ( free play) games that you can get your hands on.

All the maps mix together (altough the desert maps might look bit odd next to the grass maps).

This is supposed to be a joyful occasion. Lets not bicker and argue about who killed who.

Best expansions to fill in game aspects missing in Heroes of Stalingrad? Posted on [13/05/2020] à 15:45

Awesome all I needed to know. Do you think gazette 0 would be a fun RU vs GE Volga river scenario with some tweaking?

Pages: 1 2