Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.
RSS Feed MembersSearch
Pages: 1
Who can use the gear/traits?
Who can use the gears/traits? Posted on [15/06/2020] à 08:59

I've always been confused by the rules for sharing Gears/Character Traits (pg 7 of the Compendium).

Can someone tell me if my understanding is correct for this army composition (pictured at the end)?

1. Can "Knife" be used by units from the Rifle Platoon (even though they aren't paratroopers)?

YES, because the "Knife" is on a Command Tile and therefore all units in the army may use the equipment.

HOWEVER, the Rifle Platoon is not allowed in this army because it needs to share at least one badge symbol with another recruitment tile in the army (pg 33, Compendium – Purchasing Recruitment Tiles).

2. Can "Grenade" be used by the "60mm Mortar"?

NO, because the "60mm Mortar" unit does not share the same color stripes as the units from the "Rifle Platoon" recruitment tile.

3. Can "Camo" be used by the "Pathfinders Squad"?

NO, because units from the "Pathfinders Squad" don't share the same color stripes as the units from the "US Paratroopers" recruitment tile.

4. Can "APC Shell" be used by the "Sherman M4" from the support option?

NO, because the "Sherman M4" from the support option does not share the same color stripes as the units from the "Sherman Squadron" recruitment tile.

AND ALSO, the "Sherman Squadron" is not allowed in this army because it needs to share at least one badge symbol with another recruitment tile in the army (pg 33, Compendium – Purchasing Recruitment Tiles).

5. Can "Heroic" be used by "Dutch"?

YES, because Dutch has the same color stripes as Clem — you can see this here and here.

My Thoughts

I find it strange that "common" units such as the "Pathfinders Squad" or "60mm Mortar" are not allowed to use the "common" equipment of the recruitment tile to which they are attached (such as "Grenade" or "Camo"). I would like it better if they could use this equipment.

Compendium Errata

According to this post, there was an error on page 33 of the Compendium. In the corrected rules, recruitment tiles in an army DO NOT need to share a common badge. That restriction was moved to the optional rule "A Bit of History" (also on pg 33). With this errata applied, the "Rifle Platoon" and "Sherman Squadron" would be allowed in this army, but the rulings are still the same (the "Knife" can be used by the "Rifle Platoon" and "APC Shell" cannot be used by the "Sherman M4" support option).

Who can use the gear/traits? Posted on [16/06/2020] à 04:36

Quote from Quickle on [15/06/2020] à 08:59

HOWEVER, the Rifle Platoon is not allowed in this army because it needs to share at least one badge symbol with another recruitment tile in the army (pg 33, Compendium – Purchasing Recruitment Tiles).

You keep mentioning this, but as you yourself point out, this is incorrect unless you are using the optional "A Bit of History" rule.

Volunteer Moderator of the English Language Forums
Remember: If you are not willing to shell your own position you are not willing to win!

Who can use the gear/traits? Posted on [16/06/2020] à 05:02

I've always been confused by the rules for sharing Gears/Character Traits (pg 7 of the Compendium).

1. Can "Knife" be used by units from the Rifle Platoon (even though they aren't paratroopers)?

YES, because the "Knife" is on a Command Tile and therefore all units in the army may use the equipment.

Correct. Gear assigned to command tiles is available to all forces. You can think of it as "special gear for the current maneuvers" or whatever makes you more comfortable.

2. Can "Grenade" be used by the "60mm Mortar"?

NO, because the "60mm Mortar" unit does not share the same color stripes as the units from the "Rifle Platoon" recruitment tile.

3. Can "Camo" be used by the "Pathfinders Squad"?

NO, because units from the "Pathfinders Squad" don't share the same color stripes as the units from the "US Paratroopers" recruitment tile.

4. Can "APC Shell" be used by the "Sherman M4" from the support option?

NO, because the "Sherman M4" from the support option does not share the same color stripes as the units from the "Sherman Squadron" recruitment tile.

All of these are correct. I have always considered it along the lines of "a stray unit temporarily assigned to the unit", but that does not mean they have the same TO&E as the unit to which they are temporarily assigned.

I will grant you, it is a bit odd for generic gear, but there is always the KISS principle 🙂

5. Can "Heroic" be used by "Dutch"?

YES, because Dutch has the same color stripes as Clem — you can see this here and here.

Actually, I don't think Dutch does have the same stripes as Clem, at least as far as I can tell. Dutch is missing the green stripe in the middle. My color vision is not the best, so maybe I am missing it, but it does not look the same to me.

Remember: If you are not willing to shell your own position you are not willing to win!

Who can use the gear/traits? Posted on [16/06/2020] à 07:10

Thanks for your timely and comprehensive response Nostradunwhich!

Quote from Nostradunwhich on [16/06/2020] à 05:02

Correct. Gear assigned to command tiles is available to all forces. You can think of it as "special gear for the current maneuvers" or whatever makes you more comfortable.

That's a good way of looking at it, thanks. I guess I have a harder time accepting it when a seemingly "elite" or "specialized" Gear/Trait is shared, such as "Walking Fire" or "Dropped". But again, as long as I play with the optional historical rule, then that type of army composition is rare or impossible. 🙂

Quote from Nostradunwhich on [16/06/2020] à 05:02

Actually, I don't think Dutch does have the same stripes as Clem, at least as far as I can tell. Dutch is missing the green stripe in the middle. My color vision is not the best, so maybe I am missing it, but it does not look the same to me.

I took a closer look at my pieces and it does look like Clem and Dutch have the same color — large dark green band with small green border. Furthermore, most of the American heroes have the same stripes — Clem, Dutch, Clint, The Rock, Oddball, Bruno, Bryan, etc. A few heroes like Kowalksi and Sgt Brady have unique color stripes which match the recruitment tile they are associated with.

Does that confirm that Gears/Traits attached to a hero like Clem or James F. Bryan are shared by all the "common" heroes in the army? Now I want to try an all hero army 🙂

Who can use the gear/traits? Posted on [16/06/2020] à 10:16

Quote from Quickle on [16/06/2020] à 07:10

Does that confirm that Gears/Traits attached to a hero like Clem or James F. Bryan are shared by all the "common" heroes in the army? Now I want to try an all hero army 🙂

I'm not sure about this, although the rules for Character Traits would technically allow it. In your example, Dutch and Clem have the same dark-green paratrooper stripes.

Most heroes have the same stripes by the way, there's only a difference between common-striped slots, and slots with airborne-striped slots and customizations.

The following heroes share common-striped slots on the left, but the right side of the slot have either GE airborne stripes or customization stripes.

For me, it feels unthematic to share options between heroes.

☠☠☠Heroes of Belgium ☠☠☠

Who can use the gear/traits? Posted on [18/06/2020] à 05:04

Quote from bartdevuyst on [16/06/2020] à 10:16

Most heroes have the same stripes by the way, there's only a difference between common-striped slots, and slots with airborne-striped slots and customizations.

The following heroes share common-striped slots on the left, but the right side of the slot have either GE airborne stripes or customization stripes.

I think Emil and Alexander Von Ballot have different colored stripes — Emil has a dark blue stripe printed on his unit, and Alexander has a black stripe. I've been looking at the units to determine which color stripes a unit has. It's not clear to me whether I should be looking at the unit or its recruitment tile to determine the color stripes. Although, pg 6 of the Compendium (top left, under "Option Stripes" in the white box) says "The stripes possessed by units at the center of the tile itself are the specific stripes of the recruitment tile".

I looked at my collection of German heroes — most heroes have a black stripe printed on the unit (like Ludwig and Otto), airborne heroes have a dark blue stripe (like Emil and Reino), and others like Oros Snowt have the color of their corresponding platoon.

Quote from bartdevuyst on [16/06/2020] à 10:16

For me, it feels unthematic to share options between heroes.

I agree with this sentiment completely. Although I might be okay with Heroes sharing Gear if they are from the same platoon, like Easy Company from Gazette 3.

Who can use the gear/traits? Posted on [18/06/2020] à 08:31

With a few exceptions (which Quickle mentioned), most heroes (that are not in heroic units) have generic stripes for their army/faction. I am not sure a generic stripe was what is meant by the rule, it is intended for platoon- or squadron-specific stripes.

Pages: 1