Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.
RSS Feed MembersSearch
Pages: 1
More Suppression!
More Suppression! Posted on [28/06/2020] à 02:59

This is more or less a cross-post from BGG.

One thing I have noticed now that I have played HoN and HoS against a larger group of people (via TTS and the Steam game) is that people rarely use Suppression fire. The units capable of using Suppression fire tend to be the units that have, by far, the best chance of a kill. So shooting to Suppress seems wasteful of their abilities.

Yes, there are a few circumstance where Suppression makes sense but by and large it happens fairly infrequently in the game. On the other hand, there are myriad ways to remove it (NCOs, cards, Recruitment options). Some of those options are rarely chosen but if they are (and they are cheap), then it completely makes Suppression pointless because even IF you do it, they can remove it on a critical unit and ignore it on units that will just unsuppress at the end of the turn.

One thing I have experimented with (and had great results with) is that when a unit is attacked and the attacker rolls exactly one lower than what is needed to hit, the target is Suppressed (example, if you roll a 5 and the target's total defense is 6 then you would Suppress the target).

This becomes an instant game-changer! Now those low-odds +1 shots are worth taking and things like Artillery, Grenades and tank-fire can actually suppress! Once a few Suppression are on the board from normal fire, THEN it can make more sense to fire your MGs to suppress because you can stack them up and cause units to be paralyzed or ineffective for multiple turns.

The battlefield feels much more 'alive' with some units being pinned down without needing to spend your most valuable firepower to do it all the time. If playing with the Morale rules, you REALLY have to keep your Leaders in key positions to keep your force from deteriorating quickly.

Once I played a few solo games like this I introduced it to a few friends online and they were instantly sold on it. The game took on a fresh quality and tactics immediately changed. I highly recommend trying it out and seeing what you think. It's easy to do and it has a very positive effect on play IMO.

More Suppression! Posted on [02/07/2020] à 09:28

This is such a great idea! Thanks for sharing it. I can already visualize how the battlefield would seem more alive. It makes sense to me too — if guys standing next to you start getting killed, you'd probably duck for cover.

Quote from Uncle_Joe on [28/06/2020] à 02:59

This becomes an instant game-changer! Now those low-odds +1 shots are worth taking …

I'm not quite understanding this logic — are you saying the low-odds +1 shots are worth taking because now the payoff for hitting is higher? It seems like these shots are still not worth taking because you have a low chance to hit, and an even lower chance to suppress.

More Suppression! Posted on [02/07/2020] à 21:03

This is such a great idea! Thanks for sharing it. I can already visualize how the battlefield would seem more alive. It makes sense to me too — if guys standing next to you start getting killed, you'd probably duck for cover.

Thanks for the feedback! And yep, you nailed it, currently if they are shooting to kill you (aka, not firing to Suppress) you never duck for cover or are bothered by the fire that doesn't reduce or kill the target. That doesn't make a lot of sense (and the fact that Grenades/arty/tank fire etc can't suppress seems odd too). This rule takes care of all of that. 😉

I'm not quite understanding this logic — are you saying the low-odds +1 shots are worth taking because now the payoff for hitting is higher? It seems like these shots are still not worth taking because you have a low chance to hit, and an even lower chance to suppress.

Ah, I see. I worded it poorly. I meant to say roll one LOWER than what is needed, you suppress the target. I originally had worded it as 'if the defense is 1 higher than what is rolled' and then I screwed up when I reverted it. I'll edit the original post, thanks!

Given that correction, on the low odds shots, it can double the chance of having SOME effect. For example, a reduced Fire Team typically has a +1 firepower vs Infantry targets. If you have an Leader/Hero in the woods you'd roll d6+1 and the target's defense is 6+1 you need to roll a 6 to kill. With this rule, you'd hit on a 6 and suppress on a 5 (one less than what is needed top hit).

More Suppression! Posted on [02/07/2020] à 23:09

Quote from Uncle_Joe on [02/07/2020]

Ah, I see. I worded it poorly. I meant to say roll one LOWER than what is needed, you suppress the target.

I was suspecting this is what you meant 😀

Pages: 1