Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.
RSS Feed MembersSearch
Pages: 1
Woods and Hills terrain element question
Hills Icon Ruling Posted on [16/04/2021] à 19:56

My apologies for asking this question, but I could not find a definition anywhere.

(I believe the rules for them were included in a Kickstarter expansion which is not locatable elsewhere?)

On the downloadable Woods & Hills Tiles/Panels there is a section of spaces outlined with a brown line. It also has a Difficult Passage Symbol on it, along with a Range symbol with a #1 in a red yield triangle.

What is the meaning of that icon and the brown line?

I gather that going UP the Hill means your movement would be stopped. Does it effect it coming Down the Hill at all?

Is the Range modification granting an extension of distance for the shooter on the Hill? Otherwise is it just a different diminishment for a unit trying to shoot UP the hill over the line?

HELP? Coudn't find the ruling as it's using a symbol and nothing I've seen in the base materials used that.

Hills Icon Ruling Posted on [16/04/2021] à 22:22

Those would be Contour Lines, The arrow symbol is a Limited Range icon, which has a specific meaning for Contour Lines with regard to LoS.

In the D-Day rules (p. 2) it was title Elevations, but you can find a reference to it there, including the special LoS rules. Those rules all apply to the Woods and Hills terrain element.

A version of the D-Day rules is available in the Downloads section for HoN. Of course, the rules are also available in the Compendium (p. 18).

Although all Contour Lines do not have the restriction, as you surmised correctly the Difficult Ground icon means when infantry cross it they have to stop on the other side. That works in both directions as far as I know.

I will anticipate your point that while that makes perfect sense for beach bluffs, it seems odd for wooded hills. Barring information to the contrary, I would have to guess that the hills are rather steeply inclined, so trying to go down them leaves a unit tumbling down crying "As you wish" and then picking themselves up at the bottom. 😉

Volunteer Moderator of the English Language Forums
Remember: If you are not willing to shell your own position you are not willing to win!

Woods and Hills terrain element question Posted on [17/04/2021] à 18:07

Thank you Nostradunwhich, as a SoN player I am not as familiar with the broader HoN expansions. I had looked around but couldn’t find where there icons had debuted with the rules. All set, thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Woods and Hills terrain element question Posted on [19/04/2021] à 06:14

Glad it helped.

You bring up a good point. It might be nice to have a general key to all terrain features as a reference…does that sound like something useful?

Volunteer Moderator of the English Language Forums
Remember: If you are not willing to shell your own position you are not willing to win!

Pages: 1