Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.
RSS Feed MembersSearch
Pages: 1
VENTURA SMUGGLERS - Who are they?!?
VENTURA SMUGGLERS - Who are they?!? Posted on [31/05/2021] à 20:42

May someone tell me who are the Ventura / Smugglers characters…someone of you can tell me who should represent Ventura and smugglers that follow him? From what war movie do they come from ?!? Do they come from the Navarone's Guns?!?

VENTURA SMUGGLERS - Who are they?!? Posted on [01/06/2021] à 16:37

The "Trouvetou" nickname and the "Gearloose" subtitle are references to the cartoon character Gyro Gearloose, apparently. Google says the French nickname translates to something like "Find-all", which matches up with the ability to draw extra cards.

Source is the comments here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hon-br1/heroes-of-normandie-strategic-resupply/posts/1565404

I haven't been able to find anything beyond that, though. One would guess that "Seb" (Sebastian?) or "Delobel" or "Ventura" might be a reference to something as well, but I haven't been able to find anything definitive.

That said, I think the boat and crew are useful for a number of settings – The Guns of Navarone is one option, but also Dunkirk or parts of the St Nazaire Raid. Commando raids are the most obvious use, but you could probably use it in some other settings, too – especially in the wider river sections from the Carentan and/or Pegasus Bridge scenario packs.

VENTURA SMUGGLERS - Who are they?!? Posted on [01/06/2021] à 23:26

One of my favorite scenarios is 3 players. Have 2 tiles of trenched field, 4 tiles of city, and two tiles of river with the Ship Ventura in the river. The crew and some low grade infantry go in the boat commanded by one player, a large axis force in the city commanded by another, and a relief force in the field commanded by the third. Relief force has to get on board the ship to win

VENTURA SMUGGLERS - Who are they?!? Posted on [02/06/2021] à 06:26

Quote from RansomOfThulcandra on [01/06/2021] à 16:37

…parts of the St Nazaire Raid…

Oh my. You have planted an idea in my head, now. I wonder what could be modeled of that raid.

Commando raids are the most obvious use, but you could probably use it in some other settings, too – especially in the wider river sections from the Carentan and/or Pegasus Bridge scenario packs.

Definitely good for a commando style game. Or something like Indy breaking into the German sub-pens. It seems a bit more geared toward the SoN focus on characters, but it could make for some fun scenarios.

Volunteer Moderator of the English Language Forums
Remember: If you are not willing to shell your own position you are not willing to win!

VENTURA SMUGGLERS - Who are they?!? Posted on [26/07/2021] à 19:23

Quote from RansomOfThulcandra on [01/06/2021] à 16:37

The "Trouvetou" nickname and the "Gearloose" subtitle are references to the cartoon character Gyro Gearloose, apparently. Google says the French nickname translates to something like "Find-all", which matches up with the ability to draw extra cards.

Source is the comments here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hon-br1/heroes-of-normandie-strategic-resupply/posts/1565404

I haven't been able to find anything beyond that, though. One would guess that "Seb" (Sebastian?) or "Delobel" or "Ventura" might be a reference to something as well, but I haven't been able to find anything definitive.

That said, I think the boat and crew are useful for a number of settings – The Guns of Navarone is one option, but also Dunkirk or parts of the St Nazaire Raid. Commando raids are the most obvious use, but you could probably use it in some other settings, too – especially in the wider river sections from the Carentan and/or Pegasus Bridge scenario packs.

I m figuring out scenarios set in France, Greece and Stalingrad, to use those Smugglers / Sailors. The ability of Seb Trouvetout / Find-all differs, however from that one you reported… In the Compendium 1.0 it' s said that he can use items such as ammo+1 or granades or geballte ladung, coming from all the still unused items of your actual army…

VENTURA SMUGGLERS - Who are they?!? Posted on [26/07/2021] à 19:35

Quote from Jjmclachlan on [01/06/2021] à 23:26

One of my favorite scenarios is 3 players. Have 2 tiles of trenched field, 4 tiles of city, and two tiles of river with the Ship Ventura in the river. The crew and some low grade infantry go in the boat commanded by one player, a large axis force in the city commanded by another, and a relief force in the field commanded by the third. Relief force has to get on board the ship to win

There are also two scenarios coming from the back of the River set, which implies the search of three undergrounds in three diffrent houses/buildings… And another set to use with them is the rivers, hills and harbours one… Mix match everything and you can have easily access to a pletora of missions inpliyng the heer or german SS searching for sectet communications, radios, smuggled items and similar… I also imagined the Ventura and Smuggler characters to be used as the people which tried to save jews by putting them inside houses or bring them to Israel by making them to excape german captivity or such… Using boats and british driven ships… Also scenarios in settings like "The Guns if Navarone" movies are easily made with them. They are maybe created to be used in SoN; but I found them cool and useful to be added to FFI, Soviets and British Commandos forces, in Heroes of Normandie /Stalingrad…

Pages: 1