Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.
RSS Feed MembersSearch
Pages: 1
Other tactical games that are simpler and less random?
Other tactical games that are simpler and less random? Posted on [21/08/2021] à 06:34

I'm enjoying HoBR and HoN. What is similar to HoBR and HoN (terrain effects, shooting, squad building, etc) but simpler and possibly less random?

Other tactical games that are simpler and less random? Posted on [21/08/2021] à 22:49

My favorite tactical games besides the heroes series are Front Towards Enemy, Men of Iron, and Undaunted. Undaunted being the simplest, FTE just a little more complicated but oh so deep, and men of iron being the most complicated. I think the only other tactical I know of with squad building is Conflict of Heroes with the custom game expansion. I haven’t played it yet but hear it’s fantastic

Other tactical games that are simpler and less random? Posted on [22/08/2021] à 01:41

Awesome, thanks! Will check those out.

Other tactical games that are simpler and less random? Posted on [25/08/2021] à 21:17

Have you tried Tide of Iron?

Other tactical games that are simpler and less random? Posted on [27/08/2021] à 07:32

No, I haven't tried Tide of Iron. I'll check out some gameplay on Youtube. Thanks!

Other tactical games that are simpler and less random? Posted on [28/08/2021] à 17:00

Quote from DiggingBear on [21/08/2021] à 06:34

I'm enjoying HoBR and HoN. What is similar to HoBR and HoN (terrain effects, shooting, squad building, etc) but simpler and possibly less random?

You just asked to the producers of the FORD cars if there is a better car to purchase of another brand !!!

COOL !!!

Other tactical games that are simpler and less random? Posted on [05/09/2021] à 22:57

Tide of Iron, Memoir '44, and HoN all came out approximately the same time and all are simpler replications of Squad Leader, on a different scale. Of these, ToI is just as complex as HoN, while Memoir '44 is definitely the simplest and has a handful of expansions if you like it.

Undaunted is a good mention. Its a newer game that plays quite differently, sorta a card game on a map… sorta. Definitely worth looking at.

Another good WWII themed game is the push-your-luck card game The Grizzled. This is a co-op game, and is simple to learn (you're really just matching cards) but a good challenge to succeed at. Could be seen as more a filler game, but an excellent filler none the less.

I'll also give mention to Neuroshima Hex! This takes place in a nuclear war torn sci-fi future setting, is reasonably simple and very quick to set up and play, yet strategy is definitely there. An excellent "small" game that plays like nothing else… maybe Chess is a distant cousin. It is random in that you're drawing from a stack of chits, but the strategy is in how you place those chits for best effect before a battle erupts. And it is very 80s sci-fi, so the theme may not be your bag, but it remains one of my favourite pull-out-and-get-playing 2 player games.

Other tactical games that are simpler and less random? Posted on [06/09/2021] à 20:20

Thanks, Kingprawn, I'll check out Memior '44 and Neuroshima Hex.

Other tactical games that are simpler and less random? Posted on [02/12/2021] à 14:50

I think Red Alert.

Other tactical games that are simpler and less random? Posted on [13/12/2021] à 23:42

I'd say Tank on Tank by lock n load publishing or it's ww2 Nations at War games offer simple, fun and tactical games with army building options. If you consider the dice rolling to be an issue then I'm not sure of many tactical games that don't employ them at a fundamental level. Most wargames require a random number generator to provide an "entertaining challenge", whether its cards, chit pull, random event tables, hidden information or just combat resolution tables. Tbh I've played dozens of tactical wargame systems and the Heroes system is the most enjoyable in terms of fun vs tactical play. Everything else tends to lean towards too simplistic (undaunted/Memoir) or too complicated (ASL, TOI, LnLT, ATS, PzG) Devil Pig have really nailed beer and pretzel tactical wargames with their system. It's the system I've successfully played with regular and non-wargamers despite its breadth of options. Maybe try the HoN card game. That's simpler but provides a different challenge, all with the same art style and theme

Other tactical games that are simpler and less random? Posted on [22/02/2022] à 15:37

Quote from DiggingBear on [21/08/2021] à 06:34

The Heroes System is the best and simpler wargame around, man…

Other tactical games that are simpler and less random? Posted on [28/02/2022] à 23:26

I would go for Tide of Iron over Memoir '44. Memoir '44 is a port of an ancients game (Command & Colors) to WWII. Tide of Iron was built for WWII from the ground up.

As far as Lock 'n' Load games, I'm a huge fan of the World at War '85 series. The next volume, Blood and Fury, should be hitting Kickstarter soon.

Other tactical games that are simpler and less random? Posted on [01/03/2022] à 22:04

Quote from proudgeek159 on [28/02/2022] à 23:26

I would go for Tide of Iron over Memoir '44. Memoir '44 is a port of an ancients game (Command & Colors) to WWII. Tide of Iron was built for WWII from the ground up.

Memoir'44 was here before ancients…. The command and colors system they are both based on was first introduced with battlecry. And just because a system didn't use WWII for the rist time doesnt make it a bad game 😉

If your looking for a simpler game then memoir'44 is definitely simpler then Tide of iron. At the same time, with al the expansions so far you can make it as big as you want.

Undaunted Normandie seems quite simple as well, but just played it once.

Other tactical games that are simpler and less random? Posted on [05/03/2022] à 17:03

The Grizzled is World War One themed. Its a Card game about camaraderie and trying to survive the war. Players try to help each other out whilst trying to beat the deck.

Like the HoN system, the Command and Colors system can be applied to several different games no matter if these have a historical or a fantasy theme. It is a rather simple card driven boardgame where the amount of dice you roll is determined by unit type, distance to enemy and terrain, regardless of how much is actually left of your attacking unit. Depending on theme and era, each game has some specific characteristics but it's the same game in a different coat. Because the first game Battlecry (American Civil War) appeared in 1999, the C&C system preceded HoN by 15 years so it had lots more time to leave its mark. Moreover, the first games were brought to us by Avalon Hill (part of Hasbro by then) and Days of Wonder, which aren't exactly the smallest players in the games publishing world.

First detected in Battlecry, American Civil War 1999. No expansions, but the game was republished in 2010 with more battles and nicer artwork.

Memoir '44, World War II themed, already published in 2004 hence TONS of expansions have been released throughout the years.

Battlelore, 2006 medieval and fantasy, includes use of magic and fantastic beasts and armies.

Command & Colors, 2006, Romans, Greeks, Egyptians, Punic Wars,…

Published by GMT and has wooden blocks instead of figurines, requires applying hundreds of stickers to hundreds of wooden blocks before you can play. Lots of expansions. Similar for their Napoleonic series.

In 2015, a Great War version was presented. Athough that is a point of interest and the game looked very nice, I refrained from buying because I already had Battlecry, Memoir '44, Battlelore and Command & Colors which are basically the same game in different versions. Didn't want yet another version. Then again, the formerly elusive Samurai era game is now available again… :mrgreen:

Other tactical games that are simpler and less random? Posted on [06/03/2022] à 05:06

Quote from Moomer on [05/03/2022] à 17:03

The Grizzled is World War One themed. Its a Card game about camaraderie and trying to survive the war. Players try to help each other out whilst trying to beat the deck.

Although it is thematically a game related to war, it is in no way a war game, and certainly not a tactical game. It is a lot less about dudes on a map and a lot more about positioning your character to give the next speech to get your buddies to last a bit longer in the trenches.

I don't think The Grizzled quite answers the OPs question 🙂

Volunteer Moderator of the English Language Forums
Remember: If you are not willing to shell your own position you are not willing to win!

Pages: 1