Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.
RSS Feed MembersSearch
Pages: 1
Trip to Normandy - Normandie
Trip to Normandy - Normandie Posted on [19/08/2013] à 20:08

I’ve just got back from a week in Normandy and can only say I was blown away.

I love France anyway, the lifestyle real appeals and the roads make English roads look like something from the dark ages.

My first visit was Pegasus bridge, how incredible to actually see, touch and walk over the bridge, you can see the bullet holes., the museum is great, funny to see the replica bridge over the water and whats really incredible is how close the brit para gliders got, amazing how the germans did not hear them.

Arromanches 360 cinema was one of the most powerful things I have seen, I certainly recommend it, the concrete harbour thats left is a spectacle.

Omaha beach and the American cemetery left me speechless, standing in that field surrounded by graves made me realise this was no movie and it certainly wasint a game, every ww2 game I play now will be with the upmost respect.

Pointe Du Hoc, how they achieved what the Rangers achieved is beyond me, it must have been chaos, this would make an excellent scenario.

Went to Carentan and Sainte-Mère-Église too as well as a number of other places.

If you have never been to Normandy- GO! it really puts things into perspective and for me I had the chance to thank just a few of those who sacrificed everything for us, one things for sure, I will be going back.

Aftermath Gaming Club and Diceni

Trip to Normandy - Normandie Posted on [21/08/2013] à 11:48

I went there too with my wife for our first trip together. That day i decided to marry her, a wonderful woman who accepted to go with her boyfriend (at this time) to visit war museums and battle fields, i couldn’t missed this 😀

Trip to Normandy - Normandie Posted on [21/08/2013] à 19:19

You look a young lad there ( not implying your old now 😀

Thats a lovely story, Yes I think if we are lucky enough to find ladys that will put up with our passion then we are lucky. I dragged my lady and 3 kids around to look at all these things, they enjoyed it and I thought its important they know what happened.

We all loved this museum, thats me with the three kids, we also discovered it is home to a landing craft that was restored after the war and used in the movie saving private ryan.

The landing craft

The scene it was used in.

Trip to Normandy - Normandie Posted on [22/08/2013] à 06:56

Nice !

My favorite museum (i didn’t visit this one) was Sainte Mère Eglise… With the glider you walk through to pass from a room to another !

Trip to Normandy - Normandie Posted on [22/08/2013] à 10:32

I see the airborne museum but didint go, I had the feeling the family had been ddayed out by that point. However I think a 2nd trip is on the cards!

Ill drop into Paris for a game Clem 😉

Trip to Normandy - Normandie Posted on [22/08/2013] à 16:23

With pleasure, send us an email before and we’ll set up a game !

Trip to Normandy - Normandie Posted on [23/08/2013] à 14:05

Excellent, will do!! Merci

Trip to Normandy - Normandie Posted on [01/04/2014] à 20:50

Hey guys. I'm planning to make this trip as well. Can you guys give me a list of places to visit and which museums u might recommend? Thanks

Trip to Normandy - Normandie Posted on [01/04/2014] à 21:05

I recommend

Pegasus Bridge, without doubt my best experience in Normandie (I'm french I write IE 😉 ). The museum,I think you can forget the cafe around…. for tourists.

St Mere Eglise airbone museum, and St Mere Eglise Church

Arromanches, ideal place to eat fast (on the beach if sun is present), museum and 360° cinema (best shop in Normandie for souvenirs, many English books Inside and even a wargame !!!)

Omaha Beach, I can't say for the museum, my last trip was just before it open.

And if you have time, the memorial de Caen, in Caen.

If you spent a week in Normandie, there are many small museums along the beaches, more or less interestings, and go to Honfleur, no relation with 06/06/44 but a really beautiful village (a VERY good icecream seller too…)

“Un grand guerrier ? Personne par la guerre ne devient grand”.

Trip to Normandy - Normandie Posted on [05/04/2014] à 22:10

I can also recommend the museum at Dead mans Corner. Great stuff on the US Airborne and german fallschirmjager. Good book shop too!

St Maire Eglise, St maire du mont and utah beach are also worth a visit.

And give la Fiere Bridge a look. Its quiet now but really puts into perspective the accounts of the battle there.

Pegasus Bridge and the museum there are superb.

And give the cemetery at Ranville a look. It is at the opposite end of the spectrum from the US one at Omaha but both are incredible and touching.

In fact there are numerous good places. Do it by car, armed with a good guide book and map, and it is a few days well spent.

CBH

“Gentlemen, do not be daunted if chaos reigns; it undoubtedly will.” Brigadier James Hill

Trip to Normandy - Normandie Posted on [06/04/2014] à 22:04

My best advice is simple, go on line and look up a book by Major and Mrs Holts battlefield guides. There are loads and one covers Normandie. I've got it and used it on both occasions when we did the tour by car. You won't go wrong.

Mick

Trip to Normandy - Normandie Posted on [15/04/2014] à 01:27

Thanks for the responses guys. I will have a look inline and repost if I have any questions! Thanks

Trip to Normandy - Normandie Posted on [15/04/2014] à 18:16

yes we all take our spouses to these places 😉 our trip to the Maginot Line .

Trip to Normandy - Normandie Posted on [17/04/2014] à 23:40

Quote from Nivanti on [21/08/2013] à 19:19

You look a young lad there ( not implying your old now 😀

Thats a lovely story, Yes I think if we are lucky enough to find ladys that will put up with our passion then we are lucky. I dragged my lady and 3 kids around to look at all these things, they enjoyed it and I thought its important they know what happened.

We all loved this museum, thats me with the three kids, we also discovered it is home to a landing craft that was restored after the war and used in the movie saving private ryan.

The landing craft

The scene it was used in.

. We're planning a trip over in August. Where is this museum? I've already got the museum at St. Mere Egeles, pegasus bridge, Caen, the Dick Winters statue at Omaha, Brecourt Manor, and arromanches on the agenda.

Trip to Normandy - Normandie Posted on [18/04/2014] à 07:55

Ouistreham, and it is well worth a visit.

Not far from Pegasus bridge if you are driving.

“Gentlemen, do not be daunted if chaos reigns; it undoubtedly will.” Brigadier James Hill

Trip to Normandy - Normandie Posted on [25/06/2014] à 10:36

Can only say yes – to all above!

I was in Normandie this year – from 1st June to 6th June – for the 70th Anniversary. It´s was the trip of my life – my friend and I went there as 506th PIR Reenactors. It was amazing! Never got so many times photographed than in those few days.

I can only recommend everyone – if you can go there – every inch is worth it.

Btw, I´m from Austria – and this is my first post here!

Still waiting that my first order will be completed.

Great Game you have here DPG – I think there will be many hours and many beers going down with it.

“Dileas Gu Brath” and http://muswetyls.blogspot.co.at/

Trip to Normandy - Normandie Posted on [07/04/2019] à 04:15

Excellent, will do!! Merci

https://tgw.onl/hostgator/ https://tgw.onl/dreamhost/ https://tgw.onl/bluehost/

Pages: 1