Bienvenue visiteur, pour poster sur ce forum vous devez vous enregistrer.
Flux RSS MembresRecherche
Pages : 1
HOSTAGES (Civillians Under Fire Scenario).
HOSTAGES (Civillians Under Fire Scenario). posté le [17/05/2018] à 18:37

Hi Guys.

We just played this scenario and found it very difficult for the FFI. During play an issue was raised:

The FFI/US player cannot fire on Germans occupying the same space as stacked civilians because they would get wounded/killed.

However, suppressing fire would not cause damage to the civilians, so could it be used?

The reason this came about is that my opponent (the German player) had placed some units in building 'A'. The situation seemed to make it impossible to eliminate these units and rescue the civilians. The Germans could happily fire away without retaliation. The only option left to me was assault which predictably ended in disaster.

What are your thoughts?

HOSTAGES (Civillians Under Fire Scenario). posté le [17/05/2018] à 22:25

Given the facts that:

a) The civilians cannot be fired upon by the Germans

b) Civilians can get caught in a grenade blast, but

c) German player cannot lob a grenade into the house before captives are set free

Then that makes you wonder about the VP conditions that require liberated hostagest to survive to the end of the game.

I think that the rule "[Civilians] may be targeted and fired upon by opponent units in the game." might mean that the FFI and US units can fire on a stack of civilians plus a German unit.

That is backed up by the rules that say:

a) The civilians are treated as FFI units, but

b) once captured they remain with the German unit

c) If abandoned by a German unit or otherwise freed, they become FFI. and count as liberated.

So that leads me to believe while held hostage they are NOT FFI units, but part of the German forces (albeit unwilling).

I hate to say it, but there is no rule that says that Allied forces cannot attack Hostages, all the rules limiting such attacks are against the German forces. Given all that, it seems clear that a stack with a German unit and one or more hostages is a valid target. Granted, any slain hostage subtracts from the number of Germans killed making the win harder for the Allies, but it seems a valid strategy.

So your idea of suppressing the stack seems fine… and if you time it right you can suppress the German unit, assault it, and thus free the hostages 🙂

Volunteer Moderator of the English Language Forums
Remember: If you are not willing to shell your own position you are not willing to win!

HOSTAGES (Civillians Under Fire Scenario). posté le [17/05/2018] à 22:31

I have pinged DPG to get an official answer.

Volunteer Moderator of the English Language Forums
Remember: If you are not willing to shell your own position you are not willing to win!

HOSTAGES (Civillians Under Fire Scenario). posté le [17/05/2018] à 23:25

Cool – thanks 🙂

HOSTAGES (Civillians Under Fire Scenario). posté le [18/05/2018] à 17:09

Hi,

I think the misunderstanding comes from the distinction between FFI, civilians and hostages.

An hostage is not a FFI and the Stacking special ability is active. So, if a FFI unit fires at a German unit on the stacking, all the hostages will be shot, even if they were not taken as a target. You can fire with the Suppressive Fire special ability (it is better)

When an hostage is liberated, it becomes a civilian and a FFI. But contrary to the other units, because it is a civilian, it can be captured by a German unit. The Stacking special ability is still active. So, as the FFI player, you should split as soon as possible the civilians in order it is difficult to capture them.

But, don't forget one thing, each unit with the Stacking special ability in the pile reduce by 1 any die roll result of any unit in the pile. All of this to say that the German unit who control the hostages has NO CHANCE to win an Assault or to shot anyone.

En recherche de stage maquettiste

HOSTAGES (Civillians Under Fire Scenario). posté le [19/05/2018] à 09:06

Ok cheers guys 🙂

Pages : 1