Bienvenue visiteur, pour poster sur ce forum vous devez vous enregistrer.
Flux RSS MembresRecherche
Pages : 1
Reanimator Serum
Reanimator Serum posté le [12/08/2018] à 01:39

Hello! Quick question regarding reanimator serum.

HPL is a Zombie master. According to those rules, he can use an order to create 1-3 zombies, provided he is next to a grave.

He also has Reanimator serum. These allow him to use an order to create 1-3 zombies, provided he is next to a grave. Using rules as written, this is redundant.

I'm seeing two possible outcomes:

A) He (and presumably the nurses) can ONLY create zombies by both using the serum and being next to a grave. There's nothing that explicitly states this, and this would need further clarification to if it would work the same way for other zombie master units.

B) The serum can allow creation of zombies without needing to be next to a grave. This was outlined in the initial, preview version of the call one rules, so there's some text to back this up.

B is less thematic, and allows for endless zombie spam, but seems to have more rule support at the moment. Can anyone clarify at all?

Reanimator Serum posté le [20/08/2018] à 10:29

The rules are poorly defined (and that's an understatement), but as I see them, being a Zombie master allows you to use the Serum tokens, and Serum tokens create zombies.

Otherwise, HPL and each nurse could sit back and spam out 1-3 zombies each per turn indefinitely.

Reanimator Serum posté le [20/08/2018] à 21:58

Thanks, I agree that makes the most sense. I'd tried playing it the other way, and while the zombies aren't especially tough, they can clog things up pretty well if there's an unlimited source of them.

Reanimator Serum posté le [21/08/2018] à 04:32

My understanding is:

The Re-animator Serum allows Herbert Lovecraft to create zombies without taking 2 Suppressed markers. *Additionally, he can only create 1 zombie each use, instead of D3 zombies.

*I'm not certain about the second part. The rules are for Re-animator Serum are poorly formatted (unlike the rules for Creating Zombies).

Thematically, it makes sense that Herbert does not gain Suppression markers when using the Re-animator Serum. Injecting corpses with a serum is much less exhausting than calling upon powers from beyond!

Creating one zombie instead of D3 is also reasonably thematic. Remember, one zombie tile actually represents 5 zombies! The amount of corpses Herbert can inject in one "round" is reasonably predictable. Whereas the effectiveness of casting a spell could potentially vary.

Arguably, it could also be thematic to create D3 zombies with the Re-animator Serum. The variance could be attributed to how dense the grave is with corpses.

Reanimator Serum posté le [21/08/2018] à 21:32

Master of the Dead (Compendium, p. 78)

Instead of taking a firing action or a movement action during the Activation Phase or the Supply Phase, it can create Zombies.

The Master needs to be in a terrain element (laboratory, mass grave, building, etc.) marked with the Mass Grave symbol.

If the Mass Grave has a x1 limitation, you can only create a single Zombie unit and you must discard the Mass Grave afterwards.

Put 2 Suppressed markers on the Master of the Dead unit. It may use this special ability even if it already has Suppressed markers.

Roll a dies and draw Zombie counters from the bag based on the result…or only one if the Mass Grave has the x1 limitation, and put them in a free square in ZoC of the Master of the Dead.

Re-animator Serum (Compendium, p. 86)

This option gives you 3 serum markers.

Instead of taking a firing action or a movement action during the Activation Phase or the Supply Phase, Herbert Lovecraft can create Zombies.

He needs to be in a terrain element (laboratory, mass grave, building, etc.) marked with the Mass Grave symbol.

If the Mass Grave has a x1 limitation, you can only create a single Zombie unit and you must discard the Mass Grave afterwards.
Draw one Zombie unit from the bag and put it in a free square in Herbert Lovecraft's ZoC. Discard the marker.

I guess this change needs to be added to the "Major changes from v1.0" sticky topic?

In any case, Lovecraft can use a Serum marker to create a zombie without suffering Suppression, or use the Zombie master and take his Suppressed markers as normal. But in both cases it only works if he is in a terrain element with a Mass Grave symbol.

Volunteer Moderator of the English Language Forums
Remember: If you are not willing to shell your own position you are not willing to win!

Reanimator Serum posté le [22/08/2018] à 02:51

Thanks for the clarifications everyone! I'd somehow managed to completely miss the part about the zombie master taking suppression tokens. The serums make more sense in this context.

That said, if you can still create zombies while having suppression tokens, and take the likes of HPL specifically for the zombie creation ability, is there much downside to having him and the nurses just keep taking suppression and churn out zombies every turn, serum or no?

Reanimator Serum posté le [22/08/2018] à 03:17

Quote from The Snee on [22/08/2018] à 02:51

…if you can still create zombies while having suppression tokens, and take the likes of HPL specifically for the zombie creation ability, is there much downside to having him and the nurses just keep taking suppression and churn out zombies every turn, serum or no?

There goes the neighborhood. :mrgreen:

Reanimator Serum posté le [22/08/2018] à 07:31

Quote from The Snee on [22/08/2018] à 02:51That said, if you can still create zombies while having suppression tokens, and take the likes of HPL specifically for the zombie creation ability, is there much downside to having him and the nurses just keep taking suppression and churn out zombies every turn, serum or no?

There's a huge downside: If HPL is ever involved in an assault, he will surely die. Furthermore, if you ever wish to move HPL, he will be stuck in one location.

If he truly stays out of combat the whole game and does not ever move, then yes, there's no downside.

Reanimator Serum posté le [13/09/2018] à 16:35

Thanks for the replies everyone. Quick follow up.

When a Zombie Master rolls for number of zombies, does that count as a roll the unit is making? That would mean that suppression tokens can adjust it. Zombie spam then is no longer viable (Without Serum) since you could roll less than 1 and get no zombies, which makes sense: Bringing life to that which is dead, playing god and perverting nature is probably a bit tricky when you are being peppered with machine gun fire.

Reanimator Serum posté le [13/09/2018] à 20:54

Well, things like Scatter on Indirect Fire are not affected by Suppressed rolls, and this would seem (to me) to be a similar mechanic… but I could certainly see it harder to prep bodies for resurrection while under fire 🙂

Volunteer Moderator of the English Language Forums
Remember: If you are not willing to shell your own position you are not willing to win!

Pages : 1