Bienvenue visiteur, pour poster sur ce forum vous devez vous enregistrer.
Flux RSS MembresRecherche
Pages : 1
Want to start HoN! what do I buy?
Want to start HoN! what do I buy? posté le [17/01/2019] à 15:24

Hey guys,

sorry for what is a bit of a dumb question.

Should I be waiting for version 2 to buy?

and if so what bits should I buy that won't be being reprinted?

>> are all the expansions still good to go?

>> is any of the kickstarter stuff worth having as want to buy some stuff on the sale now!

Thanks

Chris

Want to start HoN! what do I buy? posté le [17/01/2019] à 17:20

Starting player? Get a Version 2 Core Box.

It is still also compatible with all expansions and any other DPG Heroes of… games

The game is basically the same but the artwork has evolved.

The heroes come with equipment slots, most V1 heroes did not have these.

The current rules are updated and hence should be better than the very first version.

The Version 1 card decks contain many cards that can be used only specifically for one purpose. Any cards pertaining to vehicles, artillery or aviation had to be thrown out of the deck for any scenarios that did not have any vehicles, aviation or artillery since those cards would be useless in that game. The version 2 deck cards offer a second option that is suitable for any scenario and makes the card useful even if option 1 on the card cannot be used in such and such scenarios.

The Version 2 type cards shall also be part of the up and coming Heroes of Stalingrad with decks for Germans and Russians.

"Civilians under fire" seems a must have, useable for HoN of course but also very suitable in case you add Shadows over Normandie.

Do check out the Army Boxes, US, German and Commonwealth.

Promo heroes 2014 seem part of quite a few scenarios.

The Gazettes contain special units and scenarios specifically designed for the units included. Some contain bigger playmats as well.

Extra expansions, troops and terrain, buy whatever you deem needed or what tickles your fancy. It is all compatible.

The more stuff you get, the more you should consider the storage boxes for troops and terrain, IMHO.

Have fun.

Want to start HoN! what do I buy? posté le [17/01/2019] à 22:30

There are a few items that are now out of print, but still somewhat available I would recommend picking up.

Note, I am including links to various products for reference purposes. You may or may not be able to find these in the retail chain somewhere, and I am not checking for availability in the US store if you are over here.

All the gazettes are good, but Gazette #6 adds Non-commissioned officers you can mix in with your forces. That can be useful even if you don't want to use the advanced Morale system, but the NCO's were not added to the upcoming core box, so they can be handy to have 🙂

The Extra Units punchboard has some Anti-aircraft vehicles that could prove useful as the Airstrike system is revamped and becomes less random. This is a "single board" style expansion, all of which have been discontinued.

The US Rangers board is a nice set of troops for the US forces, and if you can get your hands on all of it the Rangers have a nice assortment across the entire line of HoN products. Again this is a discontinued board.

There is a single-board 1st SS Panzergrenadier to boost the German forces. SS, much like the US Rangers, is its own "sub army" and can swap equpment and such between many of the units, so more is better ;). This is a single-board expansion so also discontinued.

The US Army box really helps flesh out your US army forces to give you a nice mix of troops and abilities. The High Command is really only useful for big battles, but you also get an armored squadron, a sneaky Recon squadron, a Weapons platoon and a couple more heroes to add to your forces. The Army Boxes are also discontinued, although these may come back at some point in a blister pack, but that is not guaranteed. It would be a shame if the mix of forces did not return in SOME form later. Oh, and you get a set of extra US Order markers in case you want to use the Multiplayer rules 🙂

There is an equivalent box for the German Army as well, same notes apply although the troop mix is a bit different. A second set of German Order markers are in this box.

This gets into the Tangent of whether you want to add a 3rd faction to your collection. You can pick up the UK Army Box, which has the same sort of stuff as the other army boxes, but also includes a deck of Action cards for Commonwealth forces. That lets you run a 3rd faction with its own flavor. It does take a fair bit of cash to expand to a 3rd faction, though.

If you are going to go that route, then grab the UK Weapons Platoon as well. There is also a Canadian Platoon. Both of these are single board expansions so are discontinued.

Volunteer Moderator of the English Language Forums
Remember: If you are not willing to shell your own position you are not willing to win!

Want to start HoN! what do I buy? posté le [17/01/2019] à 22:45

Now to other, not Out Of Print (OOP) things. These are generally in order of over-all usefulness (new troops, new terrain, that sort of thing).

The boxed expansions seem to be fine atm. No announcement has been made that they are discontinued, so you can prioritize those a bit lower than the OOP stuff.

They are all worth having. Pegasus Bridge would be less useful unless you are willing to invest in the Commonwealth forces, but Carentan and St. Mere Eglise add elite troops (US airborne, falschirmjagers) that are Urban fighters, which is good because both boxes add a lot of urban terrain to the game system.

The D-Day scenario set is a bit specialized, but nice if you want to do some beach landing scenarios. The troops in the set are OK (the US Combat Engineers are good, the Festungkompanie are great for historically accurate scenarios for later in the war). If you are not intrigued by beach landings, this may be one to grab later if you decide you must have everything.

The Battlegrounds pack adds farm fields and swampy ground to the system as well, which can offer some new challenges 🙂

If you want to get into some "hold the bridge" type scenarios, then the River set is cool to add to your collection. But you will have enough other material to keep you going for a while I think 🙂 If you really want to do Operation Market Garden, then pick up Gazette #5. It includes a poster map of a rather famous bridge 🙂

There is a lot more stuff, but the newer stuff in blister packs is "current product" so in less danger of disappearing. I don't want to just sound like a shill for the whole line, so I think I will leave it at that.

There is a LOT to the line, it all depends on how deep into the rabbit hole you want to go 🙂

Remember: If you are not willing to shell your own position you are not willing to win!

Want to start HoN! what do I buy? posté le [17/01/2019] à 22:57

To add to Nostradunwhich's wonderful post, the Pegasus Bridge, Carentan and St Mere Eglise boxes all have an additional option for a special Airborne hero pack containing a single punchboard, order tokens, dice and special cards to give those factions a bit more pop on the table. When combined with the factions Airborne scenario expansion you have an entirely unique force. This ties in with the NCO gazette too, as the NCO's all have airborne versions too I believe.

« Fear is for the enemy…fear and bullets. »

Want to start HoN! what do I buy? posté le [17/01/2019] à 23:47

Let me chime in here as well. Yes, it's probably better to wait until V2 is available for purchase, if just for the updated rules and new punch boards. If you just can't wait, it won't be terrible to pick up V1, as DPG has promised that some sort of upgrade kit will be made available to us veterans.

Chris, if you are in the US, then you will want to look at the US Shop on this website, as I'm finding that a lot of these items are just not available in retail or online stores any more. The US Shop has a more limited selection, but much better shipping prices than the World Shop. In particular:

St. Mere Eglise I could not find for a decent price anywhere but here.

Gazette #8 was an extremely limited run and is only available here. Get it while it lasts!

Keep your eye out for the upcoming P500 print of the Battlegrounds 2 & 3 sets, they are pretty great – very useful if you want to design your own scenarios. Set 2 is particularly good if you are also interested in the D-Day expansion, as you can create more interesting coastlines.

If you're thinking of going whole hog with HoN, and terrain in particular, I would highly recommend picking up at least two of the Battleground Storage Boxes. Very handy! I find the other storage boxes take up a bit too much space for my packed shelves, but if space is not an issue for you, they will be a huge help when you suddenly find yourself owning several dozen units!

Want to start HoN! what do I buy? posté le [18/01/2019] à 04:54

Quote from Bokrug on [17/01/2019] à 23:47

Gazette #8 was an extremely limited run and is only available here. Get it while it lasts!

Oh shoot! I forgot to mention that all the Gazettes are a "one and done" product. They were started as a subscription magazine for the die-hard HoN fan who has everything. However, Gazette #6 is a sort of "mini expansion" introducing a more realistic Morale system. It is interesting, but even if you don't want to use the extra Morale system, the basic NCO ability is pretty sweet:

NCO (Compendium, p. 47)

As long as you have an NCO on the board, you always have at least one Order. When activated in the Orders phase, this unit may immediately remove 1 Suppressed marker from another unit within 3 squares (but must have clear LoS to the unit it is helping). It can then act normally.

Want to start HoN! what do I buy? posté le [18/01/2019] à 17:48

Thanks so much for all the answers! will process this ASAP 🙂

Want to start HoN! what do I buy? posté le [18/01/2019] à 20:04

Besides all the great info provided here are my wife and mine oppinions about the different components:

Basegame: The only way to start.

Carentan: I found it to be building up to the climax where you fight over Carentan. I was expecting urban combat earlier but that only happens in the last 2 scenario's. Has some interesting and fairly difficult scenario's in it.

St Mere Eglise: My wife does not like this expansion so much yet.

*SPOILER ALERT*

There's a mission that's called "shooting pidgeons" or something like that. It pretty much comes down to that.

*END OF SPOILER ALERT*

St Mere Eglise uses more building early on and uses more infantry encounters. As far as we can tell after playing 3 of the 6 scenario's.

Civilians under fire: Played only the first scenario yet, but has some cool mechanics like unarmed civilians.

We bought the gazette with 101st airborne and the brandenburgers. Both elite platoons that come with their own mini campaign's. Have not played that.

My wife and I really like playing scenario's, so there's some expansion's we bought (like 4th armored and 1st SS panzer) that do not come with their own scenario's. So we'll either have to play point buy in existing scenario's, look for community scenario's or come up with our own. Keep that in mind when deciding what to purchase 🙂

Want to start HoN! what do I buy? posté le [18/01/2019] à 22:25

Quote from JanHoos on [18/01/2019] à 20:04

My wife and I really like playing scenario's, so there's some expansion's we bought (like 4th armored and 1st SS panzer) that do not come with their own scenario's. So we'll either have to play point buy in existing scenario's, look for community scenario's or come up with our own. Keep that in mind when deciding what to purchase 🙂

Do you know that if you go to the store entry for a product, like say the 4th Armored, the entry will display a list of scenarios available in the download section which use that product? You might want to check some of those out. The entries in the Downloads section will list ALL products required by the scenario, so you can hopefully download scenarios that use the materials you have available. That may give you another option beside trying to build a different army using the same point totals.

Want to start HoN! what do I buy? posté le [18/01/2019] à 22:45

Awesome!! Did not know there was such a handy filter option! Thanks a lot 😀

Pages : 1