Bienvenue visiteur, pour poster sur ce forum vous devez vous enregistrer.
Flux RSS MembresRecherche
Pages : 1
Am I playing the game correctly?
Am I playing the game correctly? posté le [05/02/2019] à 11:58

I have been playing a lot of solo games getting ready for a board gamers meetup this Saturday . I plan on taking my Black Reach stuff along.

I also watch whatever is available on youtube regarding the game. Dice Tower did a nice review. I also watched the review of Heroes of Normandie.

The problem I seem to have is not enough orders. In scenario 3, it is pretty typical to take another unit of orks, such as shootas. This gives another order for a total of 2. It is a very good idea to spend any extra points on some sort of anti-vehicle weapon like a killa kan or rocket launcher. If you take a typical build this gives you 9 units with 2 orders.

Likewise a good marine build might include a rhino and a dreadnaught. This gives 7 units with 2 orders.

A strategy I quickly learned is to target units not yet activated with suppressing fire to eliminate the threat. In a 6 turn game with 2 orders at most you are going to get 12 attacks. A lucky card draw and some targeted suppressive fire can eliminate several of those. In addition, the first turn usually does not offer any chances to attack. So you might only get 6-8 chances to roll dice against the enemy.

Every game seems to end with units locked in zones of control unable to move and no orders to fight their way out. They are tense and close with the marines sometimes getting through and sometimes not. But it seems sort of anti-climatic for an epic battle to fizzle out instead of go out with a bang.

I watched the Dice Tower review of Heroes of Normandie and he had 4 units per side with 3 orders and a bluff. This gave his forces a lot more options for attacks. His leaders gave 2 orders.

3 out of 4 is a lot more fight than 2 out of 9. Those WW2 guys could easily kick the Orks butt in a fight!

Am I missing something in the rules or force build that might allow for more orders? Because it just seems a bit difficult to work out a plan with so little offensive capability.

I am going to play more scenarios to see how they work out.

Overall it is a great game. The combat mechanics work really well. I just want to make sure I am playing things correctly since I will be teaching it this weekend and introducing new players. Having so many units unable to fight seems odd.

Am I playing the game correctly? posté le [05/02/2019] à 12:44

Hi Ken,

I suggest you try and use more Recruitment Tiles in your next games. On the other hand, Scenario #3 has a strict limit in army points, so you cannot get to three or four Order Tokens. Note that the first few scenarios are there to teach the game, so you can focus on learning the mechanics.

Maybe bring some grenades. A well-placed grenade can hit up to four targets. :mrgreen:

There are a few cards that give an extra Order Token.

Some list suggestions for more Order Tokens with limited points:

Ultramarines

Choose the two Recruitment Tiles from the core box for 310 points. This gives you four Order Tokens, and eight units.

Orks

One recruitment tile, one support option and one Boss Mob + Boss Customisation also gives you four Order Tokens and eight units. For only 210 points.

Brother Malcian (from Dropzone #1) has a Personal Order, so that's a dedicated extra Order Token.

Looking for players in Belgium (Brussels/Antwerp/Mechelen/Leuven)

Am I playing the game correctly? posté le [05/02/2019] à 12:48

Another simple Spacemarine build with one cheap Support Option + Machine Spirit, which also gives you a Personal Order.

Am I playing the game correctly? posté le [05/02/2019] à 13:05

This is a build with five Numbered Order Tokens, one Special Order and a Bluff. Low on units though, but Sicarius is a monster. :mrgreen:

Am I playing the game correctly? posté le [05/02/2019] à 13:14

Quote from kenofyork on [05/02/2019] à 11:58

The problem I seem to have is not enough orders. In scenario 3, it is pretty typical to take another unit of orks, such as shootas. This gives another order for a total of 2. It is a very good idea to spend any extra points on some sort of anti-vehicle weapon like a killa kan or rocket launcher. If you take a typical build this gives you 9 units with 2 orders.

When choosing your army make sure you have enough order tokens before taking all the funny things in your army. It is cool to have Deff Dreads, Battlewagons, rokkit launchas, big shootas,… in your army but if you don't have orders they won't work. It's a common mistake.

So get lots and lots of Boyz and Boss Mobs (for the order tokens) first.

Am I playing the game correctly? posté le [05/02/2019] à 13:17

I will have to look more closely at unit choices.

I have run the scouts in a game. They did OK, and it gave me 4 orders.

Grenades are a lot of fun to toss about. One of my favorite parts of the game.

I do not have Drop Zone. Since I had the core box I did not think it was needed. I guess the units are different. It will go in to my next order.

The main problem is when the marines take the rhino, they can all ride along for one order. And if the orks do not take dedicated anti-armor weapons they will lose as the rhino simply drives over them on the way to victory.

So assume a bare minimum choice of tank busta bombs. A rocket launcher or other anti armor weapon is nice as well. But they add to unit count without adding orders.

I will try an ork build with boss + extra order, killa kan, tank bustas, and big shoota. That gives 7 units and 3 orders.

Marines will take Telion + planning. Giving them 4 orders.

Should make for a better game.

Thank you for the tips.

Am I playing the game correctly? posté le [05/02/2019] à 13:28

Quote from kenofyork on [05/02/2019] à 13:17

I will try an ork build with boss + extra order, killa kan, tank bustas, and big shoota. That gives 7 units and 3 orders.

Orks die quickly.

I took a Boss Mob, another Recruitment tile, a big shoota, tank busta bombs and grenades. 3 order tokens for 10 units

(I had the 25 points extra for winning previous scenario, without those I would lose the Big shoota and take extra grenades)

Spread out you units a bit and you will see Rhinos are not very keen to approach your units with Tank busta bombs 😛 😛

Am I playing the game correctly? posté le [05/02/2019] à 13:32

Quote from Eclo on [05/02/2019] à 13:28

Spread out you units a bit and you will see Rhinos are not very keen to approach your units with Tank busta bombs 😛 😛

Indeed! Once the Rhino pops, all marines inside are redeployed with Suppressed Markers, making them really easy targets for nearby Orks, ready to assault. :mrgreen:

Am I playing the game correctly? posté le [05/02/2019] à 13:34

Quote from bartdevuyst on [05/02/2019] à 13:32

Indeed! Once the Rhino pops, all marines inside are redeployed with Suppressed Markers, making them really easy targets for nearby Orks, ready to assault. :mrgreen:

Not that you are scared because you know the amount of 1's I throw in a game 😉

Pages : 1