Bienvenue visiteur, pour poster sur ce forum vous devez vous enregistrer.
Flux RSS MembresRecherche
Pages : 1
Firing from landing craft?
Firing from landing craft? Vehicles deploy landing craft? posté le [29/06/2019] à 08:51

Hi everyone!

We played D-Day Scenario one yesterday and got a little confused by the landing craft rules.

Can she let her .30 cal fire from the landing craft without exiting? Or are the 3 squares in front of the landing craft technically the deployment zone? Do units count as being in game when they are on those 3 squares? Since the rules suggest you put the units in the craft, behind the craft instead of on the tile.

And another question when you've got a vehicle in the craft. It needs to deploy on those three square's. Does it mean the vehicle gets deployed from left to right in front of the boat? Or can the vehicle have it's back on the boat and its front on one of the beach squares?

Firing from landing craft? posté le [30/06/2019] à 14:33

Technically, if I interpreted the rules correctly, the 3 spaces in front of the landing crafts have to be considered as the deployement zone for the allied forces in the D-Day related scenarios. In addiction to that, each single landing craft has to be considered as an extra unit so they can fire normally but you must spend a wooden token upon the landing craft / s you want to open the fire against the GE / SS units defending the beaches and cliffs of the Normandie… The fact you refer, that the rules state to put the units behind the landing crafts instead onto them is maybe correct (even if I do not recall it very well right now, and the last time I played a D-Day scenario is a little bit distant in time. But maybe you are correct, and I am not.) I prefer — however — to put my units upon the landing crafts for the following reasons: fist of all, the landing crafts have a number of max "troops count" bearable inside them, as normal troop carriers or tanks or camions / trucks / jeeps have. Also, the fact to put the troops right onto the top of the landing crafts' tiles could be seen better, visually, and gives me "more emotions" rather than to put the units by one side. It is more or less like to watch "Save private Ryan" once more, with the iconic "landing scene"… Don't you think ? Hope you understand my "point of view"… For me is more cool to see the units upon them rather than to see them behind or by one side of them… In addiction, you surely will have more than just one "wave" of troops to deploy during the D-Day scenarios, this representing the fact that the troops deployed were countless and the "in & out" duty of each landing craft… You have to imagine the scene… A landing craft arrives, deploys its carried troopers (who die orribly for the most part or succed in breaching the defenses doing heroic acts and deeds and so on) than the same LC (Landing Craft) comes back to its mother ship to carry another load of troops for the allies… If the artillery of the germans permits… In a D-Day scenario / play session the allies lost and failed to breach the defenses because two of the five LCs they had have been blown up with half of their "load" of marines, by two or three shots well placed and scored by the german "festungscompanie" field guns and mortars… That match was really epic… With the Marines failing to breach the coastal defenses in their first waves of attack… I needed another game session to see if their efforts would have reach a goal point or the contrary… And they succeded in the second game… But it was very hard and costly in terms of units… As the real historical D-day was !!!

I think that this game, Heroes of Normandie, is the definitive game or combat system for war games set in the World War II period.

PERIOD !!!

lol lol lol

By the way, I hope to have answered your questions and doubts, and I also state that rules are available, but none prevents you to use your own house rules if you want to… I use also house rules for infantry troops sat upon the tanks' hulls for longer and easier transferts or also for the Blitzkrieg token of the Wittman expansion, or the rules for landing troops by airborne assaults or such things.

I also house ruled a scenario created by me into which the UK Commandos had to avoid the blown up of an important bridge well guarded by nazi troops (it was a total defeat for them… that time) with some "easter egg" inside that scenario too: the "easter egg" was a prisoner US bomber pilot… Which could have granted, at least, a "Victory by the points of victory" for the British "lads"; but they failed to rescue him because the bridge was blow up by previously placed mines and bombs and so on.

Another time I changed a little bit the setup of another scenario to create a match into which the nazi where ambushed by French Partisans (which won in the end, and in the very last round / turn of game !!! But the match was epic and "cat and mice" style, with GE going up once or two, suddenly caught back by FFIs troops and so on…). The "correct" setup instead implied the use of nazi troops ambushing GIs troops… And it also implies the use of mines (but I did not own the mines expansion at that time… So I had to make some house rules and change the setup of the scenario itself. But the resulting gaming session was really amazing too… With this game (HoN) you can easily create YOUR OWN scenario – with just creativity and imagination as limits – or recreate historical events and battles, if you dislike or have not the will or time to create your own scenarios…

It is up to you, and it is the coolest part of the game. For me… To create scenarios "tailor made" for you and your fellow friends and players !!!

Firing from landing craft? posté le [30/06/2019] à 14:36

Quote from JanHoos on [29/06/2019] à 08:51

Hi everyone!

We played D-Day Scenario one yesterday and got a little confused by the landing craft rules.

Can she let her .30 cal fire from the landing craft without exiting? Or are the 3 squares in front of the landing craft technically the deployment zone? Do units count as being in game when they are on those 3 squares? Since the rules suggest you put the units in the craft, behind the craft instead of on the tile.

And another question when you've got a vehicle in the craft. It needs to deploy on those three square's. Does it mean the vehicle gets deployed from left to right in front of the boat? Or can the vehicle have it's back on the boat and its front on one of the beach squares?

I did create alot of scenarios and troops here on the site, using the cool app called "tools" that you can see here above… And I would like to share them with other people… But I cannot how to do that even if I see that there is such possibility.

Are you maybe able to do that or tell me how to do ?

Or – if you like to – maybe we could exchange scenarios and troops ideas with each other too…

What do you think???

Firing from landing craft? posté le [01/07/2019] à 10:43

Hey Ivan!

Thanks for your extensive reply! 🙂

Coolness factor is the reason why we put the units on the landing craft instead of behind it as well. And the rules say we suggest instead of it's a requirement.

And I know adjusting the rules or coming up with your own rules is an option. I'd just like to play everything by the rules first.

Sharing your own scenario's

I'm not sure. I haven't made a custom scenario yet I'm afraid. 🙁

Firing from landing craft? posté le [01/07/2019] à 16:07

Landing crafts operate the same way as other light vehicles (like half-tracks) with carrying capacity.

The only differences really are that they are immobile and you can only disembark the troops on board to the front 3 squares.

So the rules that govern the vehicle weapons, carrying capacity and shooting from onboard the vehicle are the same as other light vehicles (i.e. half-tracks).

You can put the troops on top of the Landing craft (up to the carrying capacity of 7) the same way you put troops on top of the half-track counter. The only exeption is that Landing craft can carry other vehicles as well as troops.

This is supposed to be a joyful occasion. Lets not bicker and argue about who killed who.

Firing from landing craft? posté le [01/07/2019] à 18:12

Awesome! Thanks Colhammer. Figured as much so we played it correctly.

How do you handle larger vehicles deploying from a landing craft? Do you put them in front of the craft left to right? Or do you only put the front of the vehicle there with the back still on the landing craft?

Firing from landing craft? posté le [01/07/2019] à 22:23

I have played the vehicles deploying from LC that I put the vehicle wholly inside the LC. Then, when the vehicle moves out (either when the order number assigned to it is activated or in the reserve phase if it doesn't have order), the front of the vehicle enters one of the 3 squares in front of the LC with the first movement point and then it continues to move normally (it cannot stop in the first square, half in half out, but has to move at least 1 additional square so that it is wholly out).

This is supposed to be a joyful occasion. Lets not bicker and argue about who killed who.

Firing from landing craft? posté le [06/07/2019] à 21:06

Nice! That sounds like a smooth way to play the vehicles. Thanks Colhammer!

Firing from landing craft? posté le [07/07/2019] à 12:32

Quote from JanHoos on [06/07/2019] à 21:06

Nice! That sounds like a smooth way to play the vehicles. Thanks Colhammer!

It is also the most likely similar to the real life; I mean: do you thing that in real life the vehicules disembarked from LCs "from left to right" ? NO… They exited them from the front door and started a fast straight run towards the enemy, so… In the game you should do a full movement straight from the Lc or simply disembarking the vehicule as logic dictates… Making them moving and turning accordingly to the obstacles, the other troops or the scenario itself… I also do not see why a vehicule could not stand half inside the LC and Half out if necessary or if it wants to… Obviously, it remains exposed to LC explosions and then can be sunk by a well placed artillery shot launched by the Germans… And also, in so doing, it also blocks an LC for the newer wave of assaulters to come (as for the rules: you MUST always leave empty at least one LC, and in each subsequent wave of landing troops you should deploy those troops inside the available LCs remaining)… But, logically, if you keep a vehicule half inside an LC, the newer wave of troops will be very poor in terms of new troops deployed since you have from 3 to 6 Lcs, 1 is kept empty to follow the rules, 1 is "blocked" by the vehicule we have left half inside it and then you can easily see that the chance to disembark a new wave worthy and with a good strength to oppose the enemies is reduced… Worst things happens also if the german player succeeds in sinking 1 or more of your LCs as it happened in a gaming session of mine !!! In that case you should not be able to deploy fresh and unscathed troops for a turn or two or even for the rest of the game !!! OUCH !!!

Pages : 1