Bienvenue visiteur, pour poster sur ce forum vous devez vous enregistrer.
Flux RSS MembresRecherche
Pages : 1
Ship Ventura Smugglers worth it?
Ship Ventura Smugglers worth it? posté le [14/05/2020] à 13:59

Like the title state is this expansions worth it to integrate into Scenarios? Or does it not really fit in well? Do you play mostly just small point scenarios with the crew defending their boat, or has anyone worked it into bigger engagements?

Ship Ventura Smugglers worth it? posté le [14/05/2020] à 15:31

There are little to no scenarios with this expansion, so it's up to your creativity.

You can use defending scenarios, but also make it the start of a scenario, with a crew needing to get of the boat to execute a mission… and maybe get back alive… Endless possibilities.

The ship is very large, it barely fits in the large rivers seen in the Pegasus Bridge and River Set expansions, so keep that in mind.

I find it a cool map piece when combined with the harbor terrain.

You could invent some rescue missions as well… again creativity is key.

☠☠☠Heroes of Belgium ☠☠☠

Ship Ventura Smugglers worth it? posté le [14/05/2020] à 19:34

A 3 player rescue missions sounds bloody fun actually. 1 player as the crew. One player as the rescuer. Third player as the forces in between trying to hold off the rescuers so they can take the ship.

Ship Ventura Smugglers worth it? posté le [14/05/2020] à 20:06

I would describe this set as more an SoN expansion than anything else. Technically, you could use the ship for a commando raid scenario… actually that sounds like it would be fun, I may have to ponder something like that.

Volunteer Moderator of the English Language Forums
Remember: If you are not willing to shell your own position you are not willing to win!

Ship Ventura Smugglers worth it? posté le [14/05/2020] à 20:54

A claymore wielding Scotsman and a night raid sound like a good fit 😉

Ship Ventura Smugglers worth it? posté le [14/05/2020] à 21:26

I've used the ship and the crew a few times in free form scenarios I thought up on the spot. I usually added the lighthouse to the map also.

Fun and different from the other stuff and works well with FFI units and Gestapo units.

I've also used the boat to transport british commandos to the shore.

I like these special expansions like the boat and the train as they give lots of ideas to build scenarios around them.

If your main way of playing HoN/HoS are the free form battles, then Ventura is worth it, imo. If you are more of a ready made scenario guy, then the ship is of limited use.

This is supposed to be a joyful occasion. Lets not bicker and argue about who killed who.

Ship Ventura Smugglers worth it? posté le [14/05/2020] à 22:11

Im a former miniatures gamer. It’s ALL about the free form baby

Ship Ventura Smugglers worth it? posté le [14/05/2020] à 22:13

Quote from Jjmclachlan on [14/05/2020] à 22:11

Im a former miniatures game. It’s ALL about the free form baby

Hell yeah! 😎

☠☠☠Heroes of Belgium ☠☠☠

Ship Ventura Smugglers worth it? posté le [15/05/2020] à 07:23

I suspect we are well represented in these forums 🙂

Volunteer Moderator of the English Language Forums
Remember: If you are not willing to shell your own position you are not willing to win!

Ship Ventura Smugglers worth it? posté le [15/05/2020] à 09:35

Oh for Pete's sake,

i never bought it coz I always asked myself "What are you gonna do with it?"

Now I want to have it.

Sometimes you people suck! 😉

Ship Ventura Smugglers worth it? posté le [16/05/2020] à 01:42

Check out some films or actual history with ships involved.

The ship barely fits in the river sections but that might be quite suitable for a scenario or campaign where the ship must make its way past locks.

Crew on board and others on the shore fighting to reach and open the lock.

Norway with the commandos.

For larger bodies of water (the sea, a fjord or a large river) you might want to make a map section with the proper grid.

Use the ship for a Dunkirk scenario where you get the troops to the ship and on board, or a D-day landings scenario with troops trying to survive and get off the ship on rope ladders, or Russians crossing the Wolga at Stalingrad.

Run the ship aground to block a navigation channel, put a gun on it to turn it into an annoying defensive position, send troops to retrieve precious cargo from its hold… lots of possibilities…

Since they live in and around water, you can spice it all up with some deep ones and more SoN troops.

How about Germans fending off allied troops on an imaginary D-day where the Allied troops in the water suddenly discover that the Germans aren't their only problem… works for Dunkirk and crossing the Wolga as well…

Ship Ventura Smugglers worth it? posté le [16/05/2020] à 06:19

If you own D-Day, Pointe du hoc and Hills and Harbours map set, you have plenty of sea themed map pieces to fit the ship in. It is quite large terrain piece.

I haven't tried the bigger river maps, but if the ship fits, yes, those are possible maps for it also.

This is supposed to be a joyful occasion. Lets not bicker and argue about who killed who.

Ship Ventura Smugglers worth it? posté le [16/05/2020] à 22:27

For historical inspiration, check out Operation Reservist and Operation Terminal during the invasion of French-occupied North Africa in WWII. In each case, the Allies crammed combat troops onto small combat ships and attempted to cruise directly into the harbors at Oran and Algiers. The assault on Oran in particular was a bloody debacle, but it would still make for a very interesting HoN scenario.

I would also love to see (and pay for) DPG make a couple of small military craft, like a PT boat or a revenue cutter. Oooohh!!! a small submarine! Give me a couple of open water boards and some sailors and marines, and my SoN Deep Ones can have some REAL fun!

Ship Ventura Smugglers worth it? posté le [20/05/2020] à 11:33

It's all about the Calcutta Light Horse…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sea_Wolves

Pages : 1