Bienvenue visiteur, pour poster sur ce forum vous devez vous enregistrer.
Flux RSS MembresRecherche
Pages : 1
[Design] Its a Trap! How to model ambushes?
Its a Trap! posté le [06/08/2014] à 23:42

I have been contemplating work on some scenarios that involve ambushes and have been trying to figure out how to best represent these in HoN. The Infiltration/Concealed markers are a good start, but I don't think that completely represents the chaos of an initial ambush.

I am leaning towards the following incomplete list:

Ambusher (let's call them Attacker) sets up after victim (let's call them Defender). He can use Ruse/Ambush/Concealed markers for false positives. If the marker represents a vehicle, then when the vehicle is revealed it is placed such that the remainder of the vehicle is on the far side of the original marker square from nearby enemy units.

Defender does not get an initial hand of cards, and sets up their orders before the Attacker.

Initial surprise round then plays out. As part of the supply round, the Defender gets to fill up their hand to the normal hand limit and play continues from there. The initial shock of the ambush is over, and the Defender can begin to return fire in earnest.

This list is certainly not complete. For instance: care has to be taken regarding the commanding officer for the Defender, otherwise that would be a priority for the Attacker and could really unbalance the scenario.

Anyone else have any suggestions or feedback?

Volunteer Moderator of the English Language Forums
Remember: If you are not willing to shell your own position you are not willing to win!

Its a Trap! posté le [10/08/2014] à 10:29

I think it's a very good idea for particular conditions of a scenario 😉 Do you have an idea of scenario to propose to us?

Don't hesitate to scan our pictures to build your scenario, or ask to some people of the community (put your question on the French forum too, in english of course), some have our files.

Soon (october-november), we will propose to the community all the files necessary to do their own scenario, own everything ^^

En recherche de stage maquettiste

Its a Trap! posté le [11/08/2014] à 20:34

I was interested in Wittmann's ambush at Hill 213. I need to do a lot more research on the attack to see how I want to represent it, but I thought my ideas for the ambush better reflected the initial impact of the attack. The scenario will take a lot of balancing, I suspect.

Technically he was not a Haupstrumfuhrer at the time, but we can overlook that. And it involves the 4th County of London Yeomanry so that seems like a good choice 🙂

Remember: If you are not willing to shell your own position you are not willing to win!

Its a Trap! posté le [28/08/2014] à 10:41

You will find the 4th Country of London Yeonmary in the Commonwealth Army Box.

En recherche de stage maquettiste

Its a Trap! posté le [31/08/2014] à 01:50

Quote from Axel on [28/08/2014] à 10:41

You will find the 4th Country of London Yeonmary in the Commonwealth Army Box.

I did indeed. Now I need to put it all together and work up a scenario or three.

Will give those with the Commonwealth box and Herr Wittmann a chance to use those units as well. 🙂

Its a Trap! posté le [16/09/2014] à 03:48

After some discussion and testing, the final surprise rules for the Villers-Bocage battle were as follows:

Let the victim get initiative, so they set up first 🙂

Each unit in the victim's force gets a Suppressed marker

The Victim only gets 2 cards for the first turn, but can draw up to 4 as normal during the supply phase.

That did a good job of simulating the chaos of a surprise attack. Might have to be different depending on the scenario.

Its a Trap! How to model ambushes posté le [07/10/2014] à 20:34

Anyone have any feedback, positive or negative about the idea of how to handle an ambush?

Anyone have other ideas?

[Design] Its a Trap! How to model ambushes? posté le [03/01/2019] à 22:28

Not sure what the necro rules are in this forum, didn't see a rule about them in the rules topic.

Those rules seem like a good start. The surpressed marker's and the card reduction.

When I imagine playing total war and getting ambushed, my units at least get to move normally. Which simulates a frantic battle line moving in to position to catch the ambushers.

Another idea could be that the ambusher can put orders on "hidden units" that act out of the initiative order?

So you deploy your units as normal, but keep some ambushers to yourself, of the board. The other player deploys his units as well. Then as you spring the ambush, you could give units surpressed markers or remove the cards. Lastly you can place the units you kept of the board, in the designated ambush zone. Provided they got an order marker? In a road scenario, you could designate 2 ambush zone's so the other player expects an ambush, but does not know from where.

Pages : 1