Bienvenue visiteur, pour poster sur ce forum vous devez vous enregistrer.
Flux RSS MembresRecherche
Pages : 1
Mythos terror triggers
Mythos terror triggers posté le [11/12/2015] à 21:06

Gentles,

I have started playing Achtung Cthulhu! and SoN. Both rules sets state that units only make a terror DR if they see a Mythos creature and the unit is suppressed.

Seems strange in the spirit of the Lovecraft tales that some monstres (like Cthulhu himself) wouldn't trigger a terror DR regardless of the unit's status. perhaps civilians at least would automatically make a terror DR even if not suppressed?

Le mot du General Cambronne

Mythos terror triggers posté le [12/12/2015] à 14:50

Well, in the mythos card deck there is a few ways to get units suppressed. Also, what I like best about the mechanic is that it helps mitigate the impact of cards like "thank the helmet", which is very much on the strong side in HoN as far as I'm considered.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but another question came up when we started playing SoN:

1. What happens when you see multiple units with a terror check ability? Do you have to roll for each one, or just once? Thematically (and closest to the Cthulhu tabletop RPG), seeing multiple mythos creatures should still take one roll, but make it a bit harder (maybe increase it by +1 for each two additional mythos creatures in sight?). That would be a houserule though.

2. How often do you check for madness? The rules state you have to check both in the activation phase and in the supply phase. So imagine you play "thank the helmet", receive a suppressed marker and immediately check for madness. Do you have to check again in the supply phase, or is the token removed before the check?

3. Same as 2., but imagining you have multiple suppressed markers on you. Remove one, then make a madness check?

Mythos terror triggers posté le [12/12/2015] à 15:24

SoN rule book page 10 Terror second column

"If the unit has multiple Mythos Manifestations in its clear line of sight…".

check it out, i won't type it all out but it answers your 1st question.

SoN rule book Page 9 Supply Phase

Execution of the Supply Phase first column

it states the official order of events and answers your 2nd & 3rd? question.

Mythos terror triggers posté le [13/12/2015] à 14:05

Merci for the insights! However the Achtung Cthulhu module includes regular German army units for many of the scenarios, so I am not sure if the Mythos deck would work for them.

Ah well, I'll just have to take a lot of shots!

Le mot du General Cambronne

Mythos terror triggers posté le [13/12/2015] à 19:31

The description of the 'Mythos Manifestation' Special Ability on page 18 mentions:

"Whether it's during the Activation or Supply Phase, if a unit with at least one Suppressed marker sees a Mythos Manifestation… it must make a check…"

Is this an artefact from a previous version?

Also, does anyone find the trigger comes early in the Supply Phase? A unit can pick up additional suppression markers from movement, for instance moving in a swamp, and avoids the check that turn. Perhaps that's for the best, but it seems like a missed opportunity.

Icit, on fonction dans les deux langues officielles…

Mythos terror triggers posté le [17/12/2015] à 21:15

Anyone?

Before this falls off the front page?

Mythos terror triggers posté le [17/12/2015] à 23:39

Quote from Peabody on [13/12/2015] à 19:31

The description of the 'Mythos Manifestation' Special Ability on page 18 mentions:

"Whether it's during the Activation or Supply Phase, if a unit with at least one Suppressed marker sees a Mythos Manifestation… it must make a check…"

Is this an artefact from a previous version?

Have you looked at your card decks? There may well be other things planned which can trigger during the activation phase, we have not seen everything being developed yet.

Rather than read into something, concentrate on the rules rather than a generally worded summary in the Special Abilities section.

Quote from Peabody on [13/12/2015] à 19:31

Also, does anyone find the trigger comes early in the Supply Phase? A unit can pick up additional suppression markers from movement, for instance moving in a swamp, and avoids the check that turn. Perhaps that's for the best, but it seems like a missed opportunity.

I don't think the Rangers would agree… Supply Phase movement is one of the only safe ways to cross a swamp tile (assuming you have enough movement).

Volunteer Moderator of the English Language Forums
Remember: If you are not willing to shell your own position you are not willing to win!

Mythos terror triggers posté le [18/12/2015] à 09:22

Honestly, no I haven't gone through the card decks. I've been enjoying the surprise of encountering them in play. The fun is even better when unexpected stuff can still happen. 😯

However, my experience playing HoN during this last year suggests that if a card were to trigger a terror check, the timing would be self-explanatory as part of the card text.

I still feel that, as written, that special ability description does more to raise questions about the current edition than it does to set the stage for future expansions. But I sincerely appreciate your taking the time to respond.

I especially appreciate the plight of the Rangers in the swamp and the experience of folks who have had more chance -so far- to play than myself.

Mythos terror triggers posté le [30/12/2017] à 23:32

I don't feel that anyone readily answered the timing of this.

Would a unit check for terror immediately after being supressed? I'm guessing yes.

What if suppressed and a mythos monster marches into view? I'm guessing no, as it would be too confusing to keep track of whether each suppressed unit had already seen something that turn to make a check for (and it would seem they should only make 1 check throughout the activation phase, no matter how many scary units they've encountered). However…

Then comes another check in the supplies phase.

I'm guessing checks are made after all units have finished activating, but before removing any markers.

So each unit could check twice in a round, but never more than that.

Pages : 1